Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Blend door actuator alignment?

Search this Thread

Old August 7th, 2016, 12:21 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Blend door actuator alignment?

I've looked all around this forum for answer to blend door actuator question. I bought an 03 suburban having the blend door issue with intermittent blowing hot air to the drivers side (manual a/c), I have seen youtube vdeo showing the rotor clocked to the 12 o'clock position on the new replacement, my question is, what position is this on the selector ****?
Old August 7th, 2016, 6:08 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

not sure what you are trying to do...install a new actuator? post a link to the video.

as long as the actuator has not moved out of its operating range, the blend door can be connected to it in any position. A calibration procedure is then perform so the hvac module knows the door range and position.
Old August 8th, 2016, 9:41 AM
CF Monarch

The rotor is keyed for the shaft. The key way on the new actuator (it's shipped, be here tomorrow), as I saw in a youtube is at 12 oclock. What I was asking is what control **** postion sets the actuator to that position.
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:06 AM
CF Monarch

Is this correct for blend door calibration?
Pull hvac fuse, leave out for a minute. Reinstall fuse turn key one, wait a minute. Thats what I am seeing on the internet.
03 suburban manual air
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:15 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't answer the question directly (what control position sets the actuator to 12:00 position), but I did replace the actuator on my 2002 a few months ago. I just turned the door shaft manually until it matched the actuator slot position (when the actuator is in the correct position for mounting) and installed the actuator. Then I ran the cal procedure (see youtube videos and/or online procedures) which synced up the actuator to the actual position.

BTW, it turns out my actuator wasn't bad, it was the controller. I got a replacement controller (automatic a/c) from a junkyard for $90 and installed it.

Steve
Old August 8th, 2016, 11:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't see your latest post while I was writing my reply.

That was the cal procedure I used on my 2002.

Steve
Old August 8th, 2016, 1:05 PM
CF Monarch

I thought the same about matching the servo with the shaft, I don't do well with under dash work. I hope it's the servo, it sometimes will shift to hot air out of the vent, shut it off, restart, it's fine.
Old August 8th, 2016, 2:01 PM
CF Monarch

Well, what I thought was a keyway, is just an indicator. Seems forward enough to replace.
Old August 8th, 2016, 6:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

as long as the actuator is not moved out of its normally range it will fit....you move the door until the splines align...once the splines are started, move the actuator so it lines up with the screw holes. if it will not align this way, the actuator was moved out of range. the only fix is to open the actuator cover and pull the worn gear out, center the drive gear and reinstall.

if you have a new actuator it will fit...as long as you do not power it removed from the blend door. if you do it will move out of range.

Last edited by tech2; August 8th, 2016 at 7:04 PM.
Old August 8th, 2016, 7:18 PM
CF Monarch

My thinking is to spline it on the blend door shaft, then rotate the body of the actuator to align it with the screw holes. If I can get my wife to let me have it long enough to do this....