Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Blind spot sensor

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2021, 10:22 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blind spot sensor

I have a 2019 Suburban. This is my second one and I like this one very much.

Another vehicle with a yard tractor trailer backed into my left rear bumper area and put a scratch about 6 inches long in the bumper. I did not catch the culprit.

The jar of the hit, also knocked my blind spot sensor bracket off the bumper. The bracket is glued on. So, I reglued it, and secured it back into position, but now the blind spot sensors don't work.

I took it to Chevy, and the dealer said the only repair was to replace the entire bumper, sensor and have the unit recalibrated at a the Chevy body shop for a mere $1,300.

REALLY? REALLY?

Surely there is a more cost effective way. I was thinking of pop riviting the bracket back on with aluminum rivits.

Is it possible to do this? Can the sensor be tested and can it be recalibrated to work for a reasonable cost?

Thanks in advance.
Old December 4th, 2021, 10:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 92 Likes on 83 Posts

You might try to remount the sensor if the sensor itself was not damaged.

The high cost for the job is not the parts, but the recalibration of the system which only limited shops are equipped to perform.

Did you check if your insurance co will cover the repairs?
Old December 6th, 2021, 6:13 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok, so here is the story so far.

I went down to the chevy dealer collision and body shop. They said that they DON"T do the blind spot electronics and that they call in a specialty shop from the other side of the city.

I explained that since I had $1000.00 deductible, it was my goal to keep the cost of the repair below that and I had no intention of replacing the bumper, et al.

They were kind enough to give me the name of the outsource electronics expert and I plan to contact them in the morning.

In the mean time.....

Does anyone know what type of glue chevy uses for these plastic brackets? I currently have it back in place with J.B. Weld, but am seriously considering pop riviting it in place.

There is absolutely no damage to the bracket.