Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Blinkers don't work.

Search this Thread

Old February 12th, 2010, 7:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Blinkers don't work.

I'm lost. 1996 Suburban. I have brake lights, and I have running lights in the rear, but I have no turn signals.

Thought it was the flasher, but I replace it and still nothing (I hope it was the right one, but it says "Flasher" right above where it plugs into)

Also, the Hazard switch is missing on top of the steering column and it looks to have a piece of wood shoved off in it (I'm guessing to keep the flashers from flashing?

From the pictures, does it look like anything is missing? I checked the fuses also.
Attached Thumbnails Blinkers don't work.-051.jpg   Blinkers don't work.-053.jpg   Blinkers don't work.-052.jpg   Blinkers don't work.-054.jpg   Blinkers don't work.-057.jpg  

Old February 12th, 2010, 9:23 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'd try to get the wood out.. u can always shove a piece back in..see what happens then.. not sure how hard it is to replace the hazards signal
Old February 12th, 2010, 9:58 PM
CF Beginner

Wood there means nothing. Wood is an insulater, unless they put it there for pressure towards the 30 and 20 fuse to make contact. What you need is an ohm meter. Could be the signal lever that went bad. But cant know for sure til you test with a meter.
Old February 12th, 2010, 10:00 PM
CF Beginner

About the emergency switch, could be needing a new switch with is stuck closed so maybe they used that wood to keep it open.
Old February 13th, 2010, 7:40 AM
CF Active Member

I have a voltage meter, but where would I start testing? Obviously no power to the rear lights.
Old February 13th, 2010, 5:33 PM
CF Active Member

Well, I took out the little piece of wood, and the rest of the broken button came up and the flashers came on.

I pushed it back down with a screwdriver, and if you push it all the way back down, the hazard lights go off, but no blinker.

I put the keys in the ignition and turned it on to the point that I would have blinkers if they worked. I turned the blinker on while holding the button down with the screwdriver, and then gently let the button come up slowly.

THEY WORK!!

If you push the hazard button all the way down, the blinkers don't work, but if the button comes back up just a little, the blinkers work. If you let the button come up too far, the tail lights light up like the brakes were on, but the blinkers still blink.

So to summarize, if your hazard button breaks off, it's not the end of the world, you just have to find the right depth for the button to stay and you will have to find something to wedge it in with until you can get another button.

Thanks for the help.
Old February 13th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

figured somebody stuck it there. did u buy it like that? anyway glad we could help!
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:11 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by gotstylez
figured somebody stuck it there. did u buy it like that? anyway glad we could help!
Yup, I bought it this way. Should have paid more attention, but I'm getting all the kinks out of it.
Old February 13th, 2010, 11:29 PM
Super Moderator

ah.. is that the reason they sold it? no blinkers lol..
Old February 14th, 2010, 7:18 AM
CF Active Member

No Blinkers, No A/C, Broken Heater Control, bald tires, front end out of alignment, broken driver's side mirror glass....so far...

Quick Reply: Blinkers don't work.