Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bose stereo 2003 Suburban-No sound from speakers

Search this Thread

Old December 4th, 2017, 1:42 AM
SCM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Bose stereo 2003 Suburban-No sound from speakers

I recently accepted a 2003 Chevy Suburban as payment for a large debt from a friend. It has a Bose system(No OnStar) She purchased it around 2010 at which time the stereo was working. She inserted a CD shortly after she purchased it and no sooner than it started to play the speakers quit working but the display appeared to be working properly. It would not eject the CD and started reading No Disc. They removed the stereo head unit at the time(without pulling any fuses or killing power) to check the wiring which was all still firmly connected and then attempted to replace with a different unit which still made no sound. They checked the speaker connections and wiring to them and found no issues. At the time the rear console unit would play through a headset. I haven't checked yet to see if it still works but will as soon as I can lay my hands on some ear buds. We have rechecked everything that they did as well as all of the fuses we have found. I am having trouble finding a diagram of the stereo system and wiring to know where everything is in case I am missing something. The display reads properly, shows radio stations, songs, artists, time, etc. but is constantly flashing the CD symbol and everytime you turned the key on the unit acts like it is trying to load a disc despite the fact it also says no disc. When we removed the unit we were able to remove 6 discs from what I believe is a 5 disc changer. Two of those discs were completely broken in half and laying in the bottom. It still acts as if it is trying to load even though the discs are gone and is still showing the CD emblem as if it is trying to load them as well as all of the info from the radio station. If you power up the rear console unit the speakers will pop loudly but not play and occasionally when you close the rear driver side door too hard they will pop as well. I am assuming the fuse to the amp is blown or the amp itself it bad. Can someone please tell me where to find the amp and fuse or give me a link to a diagram before I start ripping out the wrong panels? I'm guessing it's close to this rear driver's side door since it seems to be the only one that causes the popping. I can't find any shorts in the speaker wiring on this door either. Assuming the fuse is blown and I replace it but I still get no sound how do I tell if the amp is bad? What else should I look at? I don't really want to just start grasping and straws and ordering parts that won't fix it as that could get really expensive really fast. It would be nice if I could get the CD player to work as well but I will be happy with regular radio if I can just get some sound. I have had several people suggest that I just replace with an aftermarket radio but I also know that I might still not fix the issue and may cause other problems. I'm at a loss with this thing, please help. Thanks in advance for any advise!

Oh, the door chimes obviously do not work either!
The following users liked this post:
Hound (October 9th, 2021)
Old December 4th, 2017, 8:12 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The radio in I’m my 2005 more or less quit working and I do know there was an electronic connection between the speedometer and radio. As vehicle speed went up the radio got louder. Can’t recall if my 2005 would stop playing when the key was out and the door opened, but my 2008 does this, so I do know the 2008 radio gets a signal from the door switch. Check your door switch for corrosion or wear. If it’s cheap just replace it.

On my 2005, I bought a new radio from Crutchfield. It did delete the speedometer function. Went in real easy. All done for less than $200.

SD