Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Brake pedal to the floor

Search this Thread

Old July 9th, 2020, 4:48 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Brake pedal to the floor

I replaced the rotors, brake pads, calipers and brake fluid on my 2005 z71 Tahoe. I have manually bled the brakes and have good fluid coming out at all 4 corners with no air or bubbles but the brake pedal is going to the floor with little brake pressure. Please help
Old July 9th, 2020, 4:58 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Macneill
I replaced the rotors, brake pads, calipers and brake fluid on my 2005 z71 Tahoe. I have manually bled the brakes and have good fluid coming out at all 4 corners with no air or bubbles but the brake pedal is going to the floor with little brake pressure. Please help
I understand what you are posting, sit back, and think, did I leave a bleeder valve open? Next, did you start the truck as to get a vacuum to the booster?
Old July 9th, 2020, 4:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

Could be a failed master cylinder. Brake lines can rust through too. Check everything for leaks.
Old July 9th, 2020, 5:03 PM
CF Beginner

Yep, i started the Tahoe and no help. I even bench bled the master cylinder
Old July 9th, 2020, 5:05 PM
CF Beginner

everything was good as far as pressure before i replaced these parts. I took even took the master cylinder out and bench bled it
Old July 9th, 2020, 5:33 PM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by Macneill
everything was good as far as pressure before i replaced these parts. I took even took the master cylinder out and bench bled it
Well, the reason I am asking, is why the major brake job, and I see you posted the brake pedal was fine before. If you didn't replace the master cylinder I would ask why with the rest of the work done, and perhaps without an exterior fluid leak, probably an internal master cylinder leak.
Old July 9th, 2020, 5:42 PM
CF Beginner

for the overhaul was for warn breaks, rotors and rusty calipers. I figured i would just replace everything while replacing the pads
Old July 9th, 2020, 7:56 PM
Super Moderator

Received 677 Likes on 613 Posts

calipers are supposed to be rusty. If it aint broke then don't fix it.
Old July 9th, 2020, 8:09 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

did the master empty when you were replacing the calipers? did you put the calipers on the wrong side? air won't bleed out if the bleeder is down.

have some one with a scan tool perform an abs bleed.
Old July 10th, 2020, 3:31 PM
CF Beginner

So i bench bled the MC and then i put plugs on the MC and confirmed the MC was good. pedal would not go to the floor with the plugs in. Then i re bled the brakes with the hose coming off the bleeder to a bottle with fluid in it and pumped the breaks at all four corners with the hose submerged in the fluid and found than air was still at the drivers rear. going to repeat the bleeding 1 more time just to be sure all air is out.

Quick Reply: Brake pedal to the floor