Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Bumps transmitted through steering wheel on '05 Tahoe HELP!

Search this Thread

Old March 26th, 2008, 1:52 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumps transmitted through steering wheel on '05 Tahoe HELP!

When going over small bumps such as the gaps on cement roadways or brige expansion plates at decent speeds I am feeling the jolt transmitted up through the steering wheel of my '05 Tahoe. A friend has told me that he experienced the same issue with his '05 Tahoe and that I should take it in for service. He said there is a component at the end of the steering shaft that needs to be replaced and it cost a few hundred or more.

I had the same problem on my '04 Tahoe and it got significantly worse over time, I just never had anything done about it and eventually traded it in on the '05. My concern is that it's not all that severe yet and I'm afraid service is going to give me the run-around. I have to bring it in tomorrow for the appointment and my warranty runs out on the 30th.

Can anybody explain what parts I should make sure get replaced so that I can tell service exactly what I want done.

Also on my '04 Tahoe I eventually started getting the same jolt transmitted up through the brake pedal, should I expect this to happen with the '05 and attempt to get it serviced before I am out of warantee?
Old March 26th, 2008, 1:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bumps transmitted through steering wheel on '05 Tahoe HELP!

Sorry, just adding e-mail notification.
Old March 26th, 2008, 10:34 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Bumps transmitted through steering wheel on '05 Tahoe HELP!

I forget the name for the part, something like the intermediate coupling in the steering shaft. I believe there's a repair lube kit that you can use if you're mechanically inclined. Check with your service dept. If it's still under warranty, by all means have them replace it. It's a known problem.