Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Burb Stolen Last night

Search this Thread

Old August 13th, 2023, 1:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Burb Stolen Last night

Tonight at around 1:30 AM I was struggling to fall asleep when I heard the distinct sound of my 8.1L Suburban fire up right outside my house and speed off. I didn't immediately realize however as my neighbor has a Silverado that sounds quite similar to my truck but went out to check anyway. Unfortunately I realized that it was stolen. This is the fourth attempt thieves have attempted to steal this truck. About five minutes after it drove off I called my local police department and reported the vehicle stolen. Not even five minutes into the call with the 911 dispatcher the police helicopter was over our house and a minute later an officer arrived at our house to take our info. I shared with the officer the plate #, VIN, and pictures of the truck. This truck has been in our family for many years and has accrued many distinctive stickers that made it easy to ID. The officer that is at our house called over the radio some of the markings on the vehicle to help the helicopter and other units pursue the truck. It seems that the thieves in their haste and lack of respect to this fine machine damaged the truck and/or realized they were being pursued. They pulled off the highway into the first neighborhood and ditched the car and started taking everything we had in the truck (including; camping gear my mothers coffee mug and my 24 pack of Modelo into their getaway car when police stopped the suspects. By 2:30 in the morning the officers at our house told us they recovered the car and gave us the address to come get it. When I arrived I had assumed that the truck was still in working order as it is well maintained and obviously was driven there I brought the keys even though the ignition was likely ****ed. I was able to get the key in enough to turn the ignition and the car started but made a new not good sounding noise and when I was talking to the police it made a weirder noise and shutoff. All is well however I got the truck back within hours of it being stolen and it will be repaired, this car was my late father's and has sentimental value. So far in the fight of The Beast Vs Thieves, the thieves are 0 for 4 at this point. Additional anti theft measures are in order.

TLDR: Car Thieves are surprisingly bad at stealing one particular 2001 Chevy Suburban and our local PD are first class

P.S. I've seen so many stories of people hearing their baby drive off and it's gone forever I'm counting my lucky stars I got this baby back.

Old August 13th, 2023, 3:59 PM
Super Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 602 Posts

Wow. Your police dispatch helicopters for vehicle thefts?
It would have to be a national emergency for RCMP to do that here.
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

Great you got it back - maybe time to install an ignition kill switch?
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:21 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Great you got it back - maybe time to install an ignition kill switch?
Yeah it's about time I wired in something more permanent. i usually pull the fuel pump relay so it can't start that way, however I got complacent with that practice. I also just got an airtag ripped the speaker out of it so it's hard to find and planted that puppy somewhere sneaky and plan on also booting it once it is repaired.
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:22 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
Wow. Your police dispatch helicopters for vehicle thefts?
It would have to be a national emergency for RCMP to do that here.
Yall can't keep up on them horsies?
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:28 PM
Super Moderator

horsies are much faster than dispatch response times, if they can even be bothered to respond at all.
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:31 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
horsies are much faster than dispatch response times, if they can even be bothered to respond at all.
Well I pity your lack of helicopters if it weren't for ours I wouldn't have my truck parked out front right now.
Old August 13th, 2023, 4:36 PM
Super Moderator

Yup. Must be nice.
Old August 15th, 2023, 11:33 PM
CF Junior Member

Impressive that the police sent a helicopter to your house. In Northern CA, it seems a helicopter would only be used for a freeway car chase or if a cop was killed. It’s almost impossible to have police come help you out for any crime, especially theft. They don’t even like to respond to in-city limits car accidents unless there’s major injuries.
Old August 16th, 2023, 11:03 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by rjdjbd
Impressive that the police sent a helicopter to your house. In Northern CA, it seems a helicopter would only be used for a freeway car chase or if a cop was killed. It’s almost impossible to have police come help you out for any crime, especially theft. They don’t even like to respond to in-city limits car accidents unless there’s major injuries.
Yeah well were in orange county so we get a lot of riff raff from L.A. and they take so much in taxes locally they ****in better put the heli in the air

Quick Reply: Burb Stolen Last night