Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

buying a used Suburban... dummy question.

Search this Thread

Old January 4th, 2014, 12:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default buying a used Suburban... dummy question.

I'm looking to get a used Suburban. Having never owned a truck or large SUV I have some concern. Most of the used ones have around 100,000 + miles on them already. I've been told that you should be able to get a least 200,000 out of them. Can anyone help a newbie out and fill me on on what to expect. Things I should look for or consider.?
Old January 4th, 2014, 10:47 PM
CF Junior Member

I bought a high Mileage one and saved a ton. Just over a hundred on an 09 with 6.0. I hope to get at least 300,000. The 5.3's and 6.0's are tough motors. I've experienced no major problems besides an electrical issue here and there (fuel gauge reading wrong, seat heater not working, and one window switch replaced).

If your worried about MPG then don't buy one. I got it for the family and would never go back. We love the space and safety of the largest SUV on the road.
Old January 4th, 2014, 11:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

HA, right on the low MPG, but...
I bought mine with 140K miles and haven't had a single "engine/transmission" problem. I also like the "big/heavy" feeling, makes me feel real safe (God bless the other guy) should I have an accident. My Burb, Me and a half tank of Fuel weighs over 6000 lbs. Also like my 4WD, just push that button and most Burbs and Hoes will climb a tree. :biggrin:
Old January 5th, 2014, 10:06 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

General expectations -

-huge vehicle
-if you're inexperienced, it may be tough to maneuver in tight situations
-crappy gas mileage
-plenty of room for a large family
-civilized interior, but brutish performance/capabilities
-overall, an awesome vehicle.

Regarding what to look for, it depends on what years you're looking at. 2000-2006 was the GMT800 platform, 2007+ is the GMT900 platform. Both have their strengths and weaknesses, foibles, etc.

I've owned one of each, and they're both great trucks, just distinctly different personalities.
Old January 6th, 2014, 6:05 AM
CF Beginner

Gotta get yourself a Suburban!
I've owned my '95 K1500 for only about 2 weeks, and am loving it.

I bought it with 190K Miles on it - it runs perfect and everything works.
But......I knew the previous owners (local Church) used it for long distance Mission Trips. So, it was primarily highway miles. Also, my friend's shop in town did meticulous maintenance on it (routine oil changes, etc.). So, it was a little different than responding to a Craigs List ad of a person I didn't know.

It needed a muffler/tailpipe, so I got it for $1500. Approx. $1,000.00 under the Blue Book price. One of the best deals I've ever got. I hope you are able to find a similar one. They are out there.

Bottom Line - don't worry about high miles if it's been properly maintained. And, if you find out why they're selling - you can do some detective work, and see if it's worth it, or not. In my case, they wanted something with better mileage. Which, to me is not an issue on a vehicle like this. We'll drive it 2500 miles/year, and haul hay wagons with it.

Best of Luck!
Bob