Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   A/C belt replacement tips (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/c-belt-replacement-tips-50770/)

DPLarson May 23rd, 2012 10:21 PM

A/C belt replacement tips

I noticed I need a new A/C compressor belt as mine is very cracked up looking. Any tips / advice / things to watch for?

Thanks!

Rig is a '06 Suburban LTZ 6.0 1500 3.73

johntaps May 24th, 2012 7:27 AM

A/C belt replacement tips

If you want to know about the complete AC system and guidance look at the link below:
Learn About Your Car Air Conditioning System

in2pro May 24th, 2012 8:00 AM

I would suggest replacing all belts at the same time,( AC and engine serpentine) check the take up pulley's for loose or wobbliness... Use OEM belts for quietness , reliability and fit.
Most of all take a good mental picture of how it comes off BEFORE taking it all off... your owners manual will show you the routing but have an idea before you start is a good idea....:)

hicksvilleshick May 24th, 2012 11:01 AM

wait, they aren't using serpentine belts on 06's? er I mean to say they have another belt??? wow.

:chug:

73shark May 24th, 2012 1:04 PM

A/C usually still has a separate V-belt. Not sure on '06s.

hicksvilleshick May 24th, 2012 1:22 PM

Originally Posted by 73shark (Post 216585)
A/C usually still has a separate V-belt. Not sure on '06s.

strange. my 90 is all serp, and the 01 is too. :dunno:

:chug:

DPLarson May 24th, 2012 1:30 PM

1 Attachment(s)
My '06 6.0 has a serpentine and a separate belt for the A/C. It is not a V belt though. That is actually why I asked. I do plan to do both, and have done the serpentines before so no Q there. I just wan't sure if there was anything in particular that is special about this other one. Sounds like no so I'll either do a Gates or OEM.

in2pro May 24th, 2012 4:36 PM

A perfect shot of the belt part number too in your picture...:cool:

73shark May 24th, 2012 9:28 PM

Those cracks aren't necessarily an indication of a need for replacement. They will appear shortly after installing new. Age and mileage is a better way to go.

Good idea to throw the old ones in the back as emergency backups.

DPLarson May 24th, 2012 9:37 PM

Job done, no big deal. I had planned on buying Gates or OEM / AC Delco. We have Napa, Car Quest and Oreilly Auto parts stores around here. Our first Auto Zone just opened up so I went to check it out. They only had Duralast or Dayco. I said no thanks and went to the dealer. For $10 more than the best Auto Zone part I got the AC Delco, same P/N as in the pic. And in2pro knows what he is talking about, note the serpentine belt routing and the job goes smoothly. Checked all pulleys for play, noise when spinning and such, everything checks out. Age was since new on a '06 model and just over 81,000 miles. Thanks for the tips guys.<SCRIPT type=text/javascript> vbmenu_register("postmenu_216545", true); </SCRIPT>