Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

A/C clutch not engaging?

Search this Thread

Old June 29th, 2008, 12:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C clutch not engaging?

Hey gang!

Have a problem - the a/c in my 1995 suburban was replaced last year at a considerable cost. Basically the whole unit needed replacing. Even after replacing it, still wasn't running properly. Wasn't as cold as I would expect it to get (although the mechanic said it was full of freon) and the wires that plugged into the back of the condenser were loose and coming unplugged occasionally (among some other a/c-related problems). Anyways, after a few more trips to the mechanic we had to move - 1,500 miles away. During the move and for a few months afterwards the a/c worked "ok". Not really cold, but at least kept the inside decently cool in hot weather - as long as it was on full blast.

Anyways, long story short, the a/c has stopped working (again). First thing I checked was to make sure the plug hadn't worked loose (seems ok). While it was idling I'd watch the condenser and the clutch would spin for a second or two, then stop for 15-20 seconds, then spin for a second or two, and stop for another 15-20 seconds.

Any idea why it's doing that and how to fix it?

Thanks!

Rob
Old July 1st, 2008, 1:22 AM
CF Beginner

Default RE: A/C clutch not engaging?

Wow...

It's a ghost ship in here.

Not much activity at all. *smile* Well, if no one knows the answer, perhaps someone can give me some suggestions as to some other websites where I might look/ask for ideas?

Thanks!

Rob
Old July 2nd, 2008, 9:30 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have the freon level checked.
Old July 3rd, 2008, 12:41 AM
CF Beginner

When it cycles like you have said, it is low on freon......
Old July 3rd, 2008, 3:21 PM
CF Junior Member

If you bypass the low pressure switch (the one at the dehydrator can) with a piece of thin electrical wire and the compressor runs fine you need a leak test and then recharge of the system. On my 1996 Hoe the compressor has a leak so i search for a replace or a kit of seals here in Sweden.
Old August 2nd, 2008, 1:30 PM
CF Beginner

yep low freon, charge it and check for leaks when i did in my 95 suburban it had about 4-5 leaks,anyways i found this product for ac in cars its called thermonics its amazing i put it into a gmc seirra and that thing gets cold! i put a temp prob in it and it went to about -42 degrees its really and amazing product its local to me so if you need any info just give me an email at levitimmer@yahoo.com i can send info if needed