Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Careful Installing Drop Spindles!!

Search this Thread

Old March 10th, 2008, 2:03 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Careful Installing Drop Spindles!!

I just had to buy about $390 worth of parts, and $140 for 3 year alignmentdue to cracked boots that the dealer wouldn't cover because my wife's tahoe is lowered. [] I knew when I lowered it that they wouldn't probably cover any suspension under warranty, so I'm not really upset, but the service manager told me on the phone that the kit looked great and install was wonderful. When the problem arose, he told me to come in and he would take care of me, then told me that this is not a common problem, and it's due to the lowering, and they would not cover.[/align][/align]So the passenger lower ball joint boot was busted and causing a terrible screetching noise when turning or hitting bumps. I found a huge crack high up in the boot. Turns out, nobody sells just a balljoint, so a new lower aluminum arm with balljoint was about $250. Then I go to grease the only two grease points on the front, the tie rod ends (outers), and find they are both cracked. The $50 Napa replacements didn't fit, so I had to spent the $72 each from the dealer.[/align][/align]When I lowered it, I took extra care not to crack any boots due to the lack of grease joints on the ball joints. I believe I got the spindles off with a baby sledge to the knuckle, and I think I may have used a fork on the tie rod ends, but I'm always careful to push the boot up first, so I don't tear it. I've been there and done that when I was younger. The lowering kit was installed around 6k, and there is about 31k on the truck now. So just a warning to be careful when lowering, and watch those boots cause they ain't cheap!! [/align]