Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Clicking noise from behind the glove box

Search this Thread

Old October 13th, 2015, 8:35 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Clicking noise from behind the glove box

I have 2002 Tahoe. When I change the control on a/c heating controls from out side air to recycled air I get a clicking noise from behind the glove box. The noise will continue even after I turn off the heater/ac. it only stops when I press the recycled air button. The temperature works fine it blow hot air when set to hot and cold when set to cold. The local parts store said it was the A/c heater blend door actuator. Is this hard to replace?

Last edited by mudpuppy; October 13th, 2015 at 8:45 PM. Reason: added more details
Old October 14th, 2015, 6:50 AM
CF Active Member

Please find a video on the repair. It may help you to review your problem and to make sure that it is the blend door actuator.

Old October 14th, 2015, 7:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sure sounds like the blend door actuator. Common thing that fails on envoys as well. My wife has one that is in the rear of her envoy, clicks for about 30 seconds every startup and then stops.

Did you recently replace the battery by chance? I know that with the envoys the recommendation is to have a memory saver attached prior to removing the battery as when it loses power and then gets it back, the actuators have to find their "home"? spot or something, which requires them to open all the way to the stops on each side. In turn this is usually how they end up failing.
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:26 PM
CF Beginner

Default @ tpc

Thanks for responding. I have not disconnected the battery recently. Is the blend door actuator located under the hush panel on the passenger side or is it located deep in the dash?
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:28 PM
CF Beginner

Default @ mulmur1

Originally Posted by mulmur1
Please find a video on the repair. It may help you to review your problem and to make sure that it is the blend door actuator.

2001 Chevy Tahoe Blend Door Actuator Replacement - YouTube

Thanks for the link to the you video and for responding so quickly.
Old October 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
CF Beginner

Default @ mulmur1

Originally Posted by mulmur1

2001 Chevy Tahoe Blend Door Actuator Replacement - YouTube
After watching the video, I noticed he was talking about the controls not switching to the defroster for the window. I actually went out and looked for the source of the clicking behind the glove box and found a vent door that was making the clicking sound. it was like that door was closing but it could not close far enough and kept trying to close farther than it could. My question now is, Is that the actually part I have to replace because the vent door is on the other side behind the glove box?
Old October 14th, 2015, 4:32 PM
CF Active Member

I have attached a link to GMpartdirect.com for your truck. In the diagram, item #21, there is an actuator located on the right side, which appears to be located behind the glove box area. I agree, you do not want to replace a part, if it is not the cause of the problem. Take a look at the attached link and see if this appears to be the root of the clicking sound. Since everything is working, at least you are okay with heat / cool in the short term.

EVAPORATOR & HEATER COMPONENTS for 2002 Chevrolet Tahoe