Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cold Air Intake/MAF sensor

Search this Thread

Old December 22nd, 2014, 8:07 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Cold Air Intake/MAF sensor

2012 Tahoe LTZ I recently purchased a K&N cold air intake that uses a dry washable filter instead of the oil based filters. I have been told that to realize the max benefit from this intake an aftermarket performance MAF sensor and a throttle body spacer should be included. Has anyone had experience with this set up? Any recommendations on the MAF and spacer brands? If I change the MAF will the ECM need to be reprogrammed to adjust for the increase in air to the engine? Thanks for any help.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 3:19 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The stock air intake is a cold air intake system. A throttle body spacer will just lighten your wallet. Not sure what a performance MAF is unless it's just having the screens removed which is also not a good idea.

A Blackbear tune is your best answer for increased performance.
Old December 22nd, 2014, 8:37 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Ditto on the CAI, the aftermarket one will be a straight tube that removes the stock air baffle, so the engine sucking in air will be much more pronounce with the straight tube... just like with the older carbureted engines where you could flip the air cleaner lid over for a cooler sound

keep in mind that most aftermarket add-on's like K&N filters CAI and cored out MAF's DO have improve performance, BUT its at the very top end of the RPM range where you are likely to not ever be or want to be for extended periods...
I have heard better things about getting the tunes done as 73shark has suggested, AND you can keep your stock equipment air cleaner and the like, worst case you have to start using 93 octane for potential knock due to advances in timing the tune might add, but most of the tune is likely to be to shift points in the transmission giving you firmer shifts or other adjustments to give you slightly better mpg....
Remember though if you GET more power you LOSE mpg and vice versa, if you gain mpg you give up some performance....