Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cold Weather is here and....

Search this Thread

Old November 7th, 2006, 11:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather is here and....

First, there wasnt much sarcasm in my comment, probably more truth than anything. Secondly, that is what they will tell you as I know I have had an issue with my HOOD STRUT. If you dont like my comments, then DONT Fuc**** read them. Other than that keep your mouth shut. I am not the only one that has made a few sarcastic comments.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:01 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: biglg
If you dont like my comments, then DONT Fuc**** read them. Other than that keep your mouth shut. I am not the only one that has made a few sarcastic comments.
This is a forum for the exchange of useful information between people looking for and/or providing such information. There is no place for those types of comments here or anywhere for that matter. You don't know me as I don't know you. Please respect the purpose.

Since I opened this thread, I feel that I have the right to comment and NOT keep my mouth shut. If I am insulting you or worse, my most sincere apologies. Feel free to block my posts and read elsewhere.

There is an appropriate time and a place for your comment above. This isn't it: not here, not ever.
Old November 7th, 2006, 12:39 PM
CF Active Member

Can't we just all get along???
Old November 7th, 2006, 2:40 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

group hug [sm=yeahsmile.gif]
Old November 7th, 2006, 6:39 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hugging, !
Old November 13th, 2006, 9:12 PM
CF Senior Member

ORIGINAL: jlenkows

The pistons on the rear liftgate are rather... um.... not working well.

Actually, there is no assist from the pistons at 35 degrees (Hudson Velley, NY). There is resistance when both opening and closing the tailgate.

I checked them and they are both lubed.

Once the truck warmed up a bit (25 minutes of driving with the heat on) the tailgate lifted and closed with no effort.

Now... I don't want to start anything here with another Tahoe owner, but... I am concerned that the piston under the hood could also be reacting to the cold weather in a similar manner which could make the closing of the hood more difficult which would potentially lead to... (dare I say it??)... dents.

Has anyone else experienced this yet?? I know that it's not that cold yet and that the 07 model hasn't seen a production winter... could this be just my truck or is the potential out there for a wider scope of people that have/will have this issue.

Jeff.
Dave/ZX --

I know that you're still playing catch-up on all of the past week's stuff, but.... any thoughts on this problem??? Once the temps got above 40ish, the gate opened and closed as it did at the dealership.

Gracias.
Old November 20th, 2006, 12:53 AM
CF Senior Member

Anyone??? I'm going to call the dealer this week to see if they have any ideas. Maybe there's a TSB out there about it already.
Old December 6th, 2006, 5:06 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was this issue ever resolved? It was 28 degrees in NY this morning and my power lift gate would not open or close. I had to use it manually and encountered resistance.
Old December 6th, 2006, 6:31 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

GM does not produce these components they are outsourced and the company that makes them also supplies them to many other automobile manufacturers.

These struts are pressurized with nitrogen gas and dampened by oil; they operate at peak effectiveness at about 76 degrees F.
As with anything that uses compressed gas or air the pressure goes down the lower the temperature gets and also the thicker the damping oil gets, the primary difference here (when compared to struts on most other vehicles) is that these struts are very large and hold up a lift-gate that is very heavy so when a small percentage of the struts lifting capability is diminished (in cold weather) the effect is very pronounced.
They are covered under warranty; and if they are replaced the new struts will work in the same manner.

The older GMT800 suv’s had a lighter lift-gate that was made of aluminum but the new 900’s use steel in the construction if this component.

What I do is push the lift-gate fully open with my hands, it will usually stay there once pushed all the way up and that is the intended function of the strut.

The risk of damaging the hood is reduced in the cold weather.
Old December 6th, 2006, 7:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Funny you replied to this today...

I had my 07 at the dealer today for a list of issues, of which this was one.

They told me pretty much the same thing, but much less verbose.

"Inspected rear tailgate operation. Will not open all the way by itself when cold. Inspected lift gate cylinders for leaks. No leaks found. Checked for bulletins and PI's. None found. Called TAC (Case 9342616). TAC stated this is normal due to change in weather. Cold Weather. Compared to 3 other like vehicles. Operating to manufacturers design intent."

Now... I understand the reason based on Dave's explanation, but I don't accept it. I understand that the gate is heavy. I also understand that oils get thicker in cold weather. I also understand that gasses become less excited (lower pressure) in cold temperatures. I don't understand how GM can allow for this.

Since many of the Tahoes are used where there is snow, it's expected that where there is snow there is cold. With this understanding, why could GM not use a different strut?? Perhaps one that uses a gas that doesn't lose as much of its "fizz" in the cold?? The general idea to these pistons is to allow for the gate to pretty much open with gently assistance from a person. Once you get 1/3 the way up, the gate is no longer providing the gentle upward glide but instead is causing the need for strenth to be used. Under normal circumstances, I would be OK to handle the added weight, but having had shoulder surgery less than a month ago, I just can't do it. I expect the gate to open with very little assistance.

I know that there is an option for a power liftgate, but when I bought my truck, it was 80 degrees out (4 more than optimal for the pistons). I'm sure that the power liftgate motors will begin to fail now if the pistons aren't doing their job 100% of the time.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather is here and....