Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cold Weather is here and....

Search this Thread

Old December 6th, 2006, 8:53 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Cold Weather is here and....

The gas struts are designed to hold the gate open not necessarily open it for you, that is the reason for the powered liftgate option that you mentioned.
If you have a medical condition then there are many normal daily activities that now probably cause you a great deal of problem and distress.

Manufacturers are seemingly capable of miracles but in reality the laws of physics cannot be overcome whether you buy it or not.
When you come up with a better (and cost effective) solution by all means; let em know, let every manufacture know because this is an industry wide issue.
Old December 6th, 2006, 11:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My garage door weighs more than my liftgate. With the spring wound properly, it (garage door) lifts as if it weighs almost nothing.

If it had struts to hold it up there.. then we would really have something

Technology doesn't translate but made you think didn't I???
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:03 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dave:
I do have the power lift option. It would not work in the cold in either direction. It does not function in the cold weather because it senses resistance from the cold pistons. I am assuming that is correct because if the power system senses "blockage" then it stops, as designed. I understand the physics, however it makes the power lift feature useless in the winter in NY. Please confirm, thanks.
Old December 7th, 2006, 11:09 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Dash

Dave:
I do have the power lift option. It would not work in the cold in either direction. It does not function in the cold weather because it senses resistance from the cold pistons. I am assuming that is correct because if the power system senses "blockage" then it stops, as designed. I understand the physics, however it makes the power lift feature useless in the winter in NY. Please confirm, thanks.
ibid.
Old December 7th, 2006, 2:39 PM
CF Addict

The power liftgate should still work in cold temps, have the dealer take a look at that and make sure that your Tahoe has the latest programming for the liftgate.
Old December 7th, 2006, 4:28 PM
CF Junior Member

Dave:
I think that the "obstacle detection feature" is in play here because the pistons are really stiff in the cold. In warm weather if you put minimal resistance on the door while it is opening, it will reverse.
My LTZ is a 10/06 Vehicle. Wouldn't it have the latest programming? Thanks for your help.
Old December 7th, 2006, 5:08 PM
CF Addict

Yes, a 10/6 build would have the latest calibrations.
And I understand exactly what you believe is the cause and tend to agree but it would have to be mighty cold.
How cold we talking here?
The power liftgate system has been tested and is designed to work properly down to -10F
Old December 7th, 2006, 5:59 PM
CF Junior Member

The Tahoe was outside all night in 22 degrees. It warmed to about 28 degrees in the morning. I had to load some things in the cargo area and pushed the button on the remote and then tried the handle itself. The pistons were very stiff, and the power system sensed "obstruction". You could easily feel the resistance manually opening and closing the lift gate. I arrived at my destination to unload...about 1/2 hour later.... the pistons warmed and relaxed and the system worked fine.
I would like to know if the obstruction detection "sensitivity" is adjustable?
Old December 7th, 2006, 6:06 PM
CF Addict

22F is not all that cold.

Let me dig around a talk with a few people and see if there's any thing that may address this.
Old December 7th, 2006, 6:21 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: ZX1100F1

22F is not all that cold.

Let me dig around a talk with a few people and see if there's any thing that may address this.
Hopefully the solution isn't installing a more powerful motor but instead replace the pistons with ones that aren't affected by the cold as easily.

Quick Reply: Cold Weather is here and....