Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Collapsed Lifters, multiple times, different engines, same vehicle

Search this Thread

Old September 24th, 2020, 3:13 PM
Newly Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collapsed Lifters, multiple times, different engines, same vehicle

I have a 2007 Suburban. 2 years ago, the car was running rough and the CEL (P0306, etc), Traction Control and Stabilitrak lights all illuminated. The car had about 180k miles. I had the head rebuilt and it ran okay for a month or so and then the same issue happened again. Again, it was diagnosed with collapsed lifters. I purchased a new engine (and transmission) from a Chevy dealer and installed it. Within 100 miles, the same issue occurred. They dealer repaired for free and I was back on the road. Fast forward about 1.5 years and 20,000 miles and the exact issue has happened for a 4th time. In all instances, it was on the even cylinder side of the vehicle, and cylinder 6 was affected in 3 of the 4 cases.

I am trying to figure out if there is an issue with the computer or other component which would damage the lifters. It should be noted, when I purchased the second engine, I also installed a Range AFM/DFM disabler thinking AFM may have been part of the problem but it looks like it didn't help.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old January 20th, 2024, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Collapsed Lifters, multiple times, different engines, same vehicle

Did you find the solution about this problem.? I have exactly the same problem, I replaced the lifters from Suburban 2015 4 times. The last time a Spanish mechanic from Dominic Republic told me that the solution is to never buy the Pushrod from the Dealership because the metal is to soft, This engines must be replaced the original pushrods with aftermarket made from titanium. The 4 time the the car went to the shop, my car was serviced by this Spanish mechanic , and he said the pushrods must be replaced with and aftermarket made from titanium, if not the problem will be happening over and over.
So, now is going to be the 5 time I having the same problem, I'm going to buy those titanium pushrods to be replaced.
I was wondering if your problem was resolved. This is a nightmare. All my life I had Japanese Vehicle
I'm already 50 years old , this is my first time I'm buying an American car.. It was the worst desition ever made in my life. I'm already spend around 9k dollars in this American Vehicle piece of crap. I owned Honda motorcycles and they last for ever. I decided to buy a harley Davidson , the same thing, it was the worst pice of crap I ever had , the Cam Chain Tensioner inside the engine are made of plastic.
Every time I deal with an American Vehicle is always a serius failure on the engineering.
I released this after finding out that over 20 people that I know hade the same problem, lifters failure, all of them own Chevy Suburban. I know people with a brand new Chevrolet Suburban 2022 that their engines already had problems with lifters. I think are not the lifters, I think the problem is on the pushrods on every GM truck.. It doesn't matter, you can own a 140k dollars Cadillac Escalade and you will have the same problem.. Suburbans Escalades GMC and every single similar truck are the same piece of crap...
Old January 20th, 2024, 1:51 PM
Super Moderator

Received 663 Likes on 602 Posts

solution is to remove the AFM system