Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Considering all-terrain tires

Search this Thread

Old September 17th, 2015, 5:24 AM
CF Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SWHouston
There's two things I'll add to that...

The "door" pressure is generally accepted for the OEM tires, and
The reduction (10%) is offered, only because (analog) Air Gauges have a reputation for inaccuracy. I'm a stickler for abiding by Mfgr Recommendations, and that is in order not to exceed the MCIP. However, if you have a Digital Air Gauge, or for either have verified the accuracy of reading, you can come up to 99.9 % of MCIP. I personally just reduce the MCIP by 2 lbs.

Most of the inaccuracy of Air Gauges is from Debris, which is injected into them, from not having a Cap on the Air Stem, or just not checking for dirt before you add air. When airing my Tires, even though I have Caps on the Stems, I always use the little post on the Gauge to pop a short blast of air out, just to make sure it's clear of debris.

PS Typerod,
Try to do a mileage check, and let us know if there is a substantial increase.
Thanks again SW! When you do a mileage check, do you mean check for a MPG increase with the higher tire pressure?
Old September 17th, 2015, 12:01 PM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Typerod
Thanks again SW! When you do a mileage check, do you mean check for a MPG increase with the higher tire pressure?
Yes. And I'll point out, that even a slight increase over the life of a tire, will mean considerable savings in fuel cost.

Another tip I'll offer...
Many, because of hipe, will trend toward the clamed higher mileage Tires. And it's true to a point, because most times Manufacturers increase the "Shore Hardness", which is how resistant the rubber is to wear, however...

When they do that, usually the Traction ability (both wet and dry) is reduced. So, tradeoffs need to be considered.

In other words...
Are you willing to add another 10 or more feet to your stopping distance, for an additional few miles of life of the Tire ?

Last edited by SWHouston; September 17th, 2015 at 12:09 PM.
Old September 18th, 2015, 12:32 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Yep, my Milton tire pressure gauge is off about 3lbs compared to both mine and my wife's TPM systems...
Old September 18th, 2015, 3:26 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by in2pro
Yep, my Milton tire pressure gauge is off about 3lbs compared to both mine and my wife's TPM systems...
HA yea, and an additional problem with that is, that Milton is probably the most reliable gauge you can have.

Back a couple years, I bought an Analog Gauge, which is about 4" diameter and has about a foot of flex tubing on it. Very hard/bulky to use, but, is the most accurate of any I have. Customarily I'll do as you have, and do comparisons with the Stick Gauges I have, and note in magic marker on them, how much to deduct or add. That being for that day, at that temperature. lol

For those of you who might do a accuracy check as we have, remember that Stick Gauges can have a "curve" of accuracy or inaccuracy. So, it's just much simpler to do your verification at the pressure you normally run in your tires or it'll drive you nuts trying to keep up with the variations.

I have a gauge in each of my (3) vehicles, considering that I run 2 lbs under MCIP in each of them.
Old September 18th, 2015, 3:50 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a question.

Don't you guys that run your tire pressure so high. Close to mcip. Have a really rough or some what rougher ride. I run my tires at 35 lbs and when it goes higher. I notice a rougher ride. Also. Do you experience any early wear in steering or suspension components.
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:34 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by blueinterceptor
I have a question.

Don't you guys that run your tire pressure so high. Close to mcip. Have a really rough or some what rougher ride. I run my tires at 35 lbs and when it goes higher. I notice a rougher ride. Also. Do you experience any early wear in steering or suspension components.
Yes, one can feel a firmer ride, but, actually the steering components will have an easer time turning with a firmer tire. This is not insinuation, but, we are dealing with "Trucks", not Cadillac's, and the several benefits of the higher pressures, IMHO well outweigh some minor discomfort.

I look at Tires like an insurance Policy.
IF you don't have them prepared to handle things like an unexpected chug hole, or an emergency turn to avoid an accident, you could well cause some very serious damage.
Old September 19th, 2015, 9:16 AM
CF Senior Member

I always ran my tires a few pounds over 2/3 lbs. not like some suggest of 15lbs
Old September 19th, 2015, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Any increase is going to help.

But wow, we've really gotten off Topic here...

Typerod,
Have you got your eye on a OTR Tire you think you like ?
Old September 21st, 2015, 11:52 AM
CF Senior Member

37lbs for me on my 20's Spent a couple of months testing pressure for perfect ride, handling and mileage
Old September 21st, 2015, 6:57 PM
CF Active Member

https://www.goodyear.com/en-US/tires...c1500-suburban

Just click and choose.

Quick Reply: Considering all-terrain tires