Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Considering all-terrain tires

Search this Thread

Old September 22nd, 2015, 2:36 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SWHouston
All tires have a "MCIP" (maximum cold inflation pressure) which is stamped on the sidewall of any tire which is sold for USA vehicles. It is as stated, is the maximum pressure you should use, AND, the Manufacturers guarantee that, that pressure can be consistently used in the Tire for it's life. For the Tires you have selected, that pressure is 65 lbs.

I suggest that you choose a pressure that is within 10% of that number for year round use, and here's why...

1) Well/higher Inflated tires usually get better gas mileage.
2) Handling/control (cornering) is greatly improved.
When having to corner hard, higher pressure doesn't allow the tire to skew out of alignment with the Rim, and better supports the additional weight of the Vehicle when that load is majorilly transferred to two wheels instead of all four. Keep in mind that our rides often exceed 6000 lbs when loaded
3) When having to do Hard Breaking, the Tire resists compression keeping the Tread flatter, subsequently has better traction and the ability to stop your vehicle.
4) When encountering a Road Hazard (curb/chughole) higher pressure again resist compression of the Sidewall, limiting the injury to the Tire.
5) When Sidewalls don't flex as much as with lower pressures, Tires run cooler and have a vastly lower failure rate.
6) At High Speed, higher pressure enhances the overall rotational stability/roundness of the Tire, which improves its balance, creating more consistent contact with the Road Surface.
7) Tread Depth Patterns are set up, where over the life of the Tire, that they wear more evenly, when the Tire is inflated in its higher range of pressure.
8) When Towing, or carrying heavier loads (multiple passengers or cargo) the Load Rating of the Tire cannot be assured, unless the Tire is aired up at or near its Maximum Cold Inflation Pressure.
9) Increased pressure maintains the footprint of the Tire, stabilizing the separation of the spacing of the Tread Grooves, allowing it to discharge Water better, on wet surfaces.

very useful post, thanks, genuinely didn't know any of that, will have to look at mine tomorrow (97 sub 5.7 v8 1500 with cooper discoverer all terrains), I just inflate all tyres to 35 psi, so I may up them, I recall there being an mcip on the wall, can't remember what it is though
Old September 23rd, 2015, 6:42 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honolulujoe
very useful post, thanks, genuinely didn't know any of that, will have to look at mine tomorrow (97 sub 5.7 v8 1500 with cooper discoverer all terrains), I just inflate all tyres to 35 psi, so I may up them, I recall there being an mcip on the wall, can't remember what it is though
As important as is the MCIP, I don't know why the Mfgrs don't make it a bit more obvious. Though I'm not going to swear to this, I believe that the higher the MCIP is, the better the Tire is constructed.

Given the duty of our Hoes n Burbs, them being Trucks, the only reason why they put 30 lbs on the Placard, is because they are trying to reach out to those who use them for a Passenger car. They are NOT, and asking Truck Rated/LT type tires to operate at those lower pressures, is a disservice to the life of the tire. The LT types are stiffer, constructed to handle heavier loads, often our rides often exceed 6000 lbs without any major load carried. The additional flexing allowed with lower pressure, promotes more heat, and shortens the life overall, and, disables the Tire to perform as it was intended, specially under sudden unexpected severe use.

Now, the only "opinion" I've offered here, is about the MCIP as it relates to construction of a Tire. The rest is documented by tests, though a bit hard to ferret out, from various manufacturers specs and info.

honolulujoe, I'm glad to have enlightened you concerning this issue.
Old September 24th, 2015, 3:25 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

found my door pressures 45 psi, tyres have 44 on them so I have opted for 41
Old September 24th, 2015, 11:06 AM
Super Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by honolulujoe
found my door pressures 45 psi, tyres have 44 on them so I have opted for 41
A reasonable choice