Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Cutting VSS to unlock Navigation disable

Search this Thread

Old April 29th, 2007, 10:09 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cutting VSS to unlock Navigation disable

I am getting an LTZ Suburban with factory Nav but no entertainment system, can I put a switch on the VSS , to enable Naviugation input while moving ?? or do I still need the GM Super lockpick ? THANKS
Old April 30th, 2007, 12:18 AM
CF Active Member

Default RE: Cutting VSS to unlock Navigation disable

Iwouldnt recommend that because it might cause ur navigation to lose position and then it will take some time to find it new position when u turn the switch back on. Your best bet would be to purchase the GM lock pick.
Old April 30th, 2007, 3:52 AM
CF Active Member

ORIGINAL: xclusive

Iwouldnt recommend that because it might cause ur navigation to lose position and then it will take some time to find it new position when u turn the switch back on. Your best bet would be to purchase the GM lock pick.
I have a question for You.
what difference will it make if You phisicaly cut VSS wire or lock_pick will disable it for You. either way VSS will not be functional at that period of time
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:31 AM
CF Junior Member

That's basically my question, if all the Super Lockpick is doing is cutting off the vss signal for 60 seconds, why can"t I do that with a toggle switch, I don't have a DVD so itthe VSS willnot bedisconnected for long .I have a 2003 with a DelphiNav and the VSS cutoff switch works fine, takes about 45 seconds to relearn it'slocation.I just wasn't sure if the 2007 has more than just the VSS wire on the Nav input block.THANKS
Old April 30th, 2007, 2:19 PM
CF Active Member

sorry i didnt know the lock pick disabled the vss wire for a period of time. i thought it would be something similar to bypassing the 1st generation pioneer avic-z1's.
Old April 30th, 2007, 3:32 PM
CF Junior Member

I'm not sure if the Lockpick just disables the VSS , and then I can just do it with a simple toggle switch or if there is more to it ? Any takers ??
Old April 30th, 2007, 4:01 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It probably wouldn't hurt to try add a switch to the VSS. If it don't work, buy the lockpick. If you get a Non DVD playback Nav unit, you can use the Lockpick to add a Video input to connect DVD, Camera ETC later if you want. I dont think that just cutting the VSS wire will work because of the Data Bus system that the new tahoes/suburbans use. I think that the lockpick in addition to interupting the VSS wire, injects a signal to make the Nav unit think that the car is in park. I believe that if you do a search on Chevroletforum some have already tried to cut the VSS wire inorder to activate Video playback on their DVD units but it didn't work. Im sure that the same would apply for Address input, XM scrolling, anything that you can't have while the car is out of park.
Old April 30th, 2007, 4:50 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cutting the VSS wire to the NAV unit buys you nothing other than degrading your position refresh. The NAV unit uses inputs from your compass, VSS, and GPS system (internal to the NAV unit)to ID position. GPS generally refreshes ~ every 5-10 seconds - the VSS signal is used by the NAV unit logic to make an assumption where you are on your route in between GPS refreshes. If you cut VSS what you will see is a noticable pause in your position movement on the screen until GPS refresh takes place. Also, this will not allow you to see a DVD in motion, or input NAV changes - there is more to it than just the VSS signal (so yes you will still have to spring for the LockPik).

Ps. Your route guidance will also not work without VSS.......
Old April 30th, 2007, 11:11 PM
CF Beginner

ORIGINAL: Rescue30

can I put a switch on the VSS , to enable Naviugation input while moving ??
Ya,while you're at it. put a switch on the odometer so younever have to stop for gas.
Old May 1st, 2007, 10:34 AM
CF Junior Member

Ya,while you're at it. put a switch on the odometer so younever have to stop for gas.
What a bright comment !!!!