Chevrolet  Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums

Chevrolet Forum - Chevy Enthusiasts Forums (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/)
-   Tahoe & Suburban (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/)
-   -   Dash panel hard to see (https://chevroletforum.com/forum/tahoe-suburban-25/dash-panel-hard-see-5946/)

tahoe07 July 5th, 2007 9:06 PM

RE: Dash panel hard to see

door locking is adjustable in the DIC but can't be turned off all together.

genestoy July 5th, 2007 9:20 PM

That I know, but it is a PITA to have to put the vehicle in park when entering the garage and the wife gets out before going in or stopping by the mailbox so she can jump out to get the mail!

genestoy October 2nd, 2007 7:57 PM

OK, back to the hard to see dash gauges problem. I checked out a 2008 Yukon today and guess what, looks like everything inside is identical to mine EXCEPT for the gauges! They now have larger white numbers and white points around the edges that are much more visable. I think GM needs to step up to the plate and replace the 07 ones when a customer complains as this could become a safety issue when it takes too long to view the speedo or another gauge and a wreck occurs. You can laugh, but here in Phoenix the suns shines daily and everybody wears shades (which also compounds the problem) and can be a real issue with a population of 4 million people!

ZX1100F1 October 2nd, 2007 8:11 PM

genetoy,
Have you dealer reference GM STB #PIT3189H for instruction on how to reprogram your BCM with new software that will allow you to disable the Autolock feature.

The 2008 Chevrolet GMT900 products now have the instrument gauge backlighting turn on when the engine is started even in the daylight, this seams to solve the gauge visibility issue.
I expect to see some updated software available soon to provide this feature on the 07 models but until then you can turn on your foglamps and this will also illuminate the IP lamps, not a perfect solution I know but if you are having trouble seeing the gauges it will help you prevent from having an accident.

genestoy October 2nd, 2007 10:10 PM

Thanks ZX, as soon as we get home from this trip I will contact my dealer to perform the software upgrade for the autolock as I hate that so called "Feature". And thanks for the heads up on software that hopefully will be applied to the dash gauge problem as I am also contacting GM (again) about that issue as well. I never started the 2008 Yukon I looked at so didn't know that the lights came on automatically but the gauges sure look a lot better.

ZX1100F1 October 3rd, 2007 5:05 PM

Part number for the software calibration to enable the Auto Door Lock Option is #25822970 just in case they can't find it.

07summitwhite October 3rd, 2007 7:03 PM

My nav unit will not only let me know when I'M low on fuel, it will ask me if I want a list of gas stations on my route.

genestoy October 9th, 2007 5:36 PM

Once again thanks to ZX for the TSB number, took it to my dealer and they programmed the BCM and I am happy now that the doors don't lock on us all the time anymore. Of course I was the first for this TSB at my dealer since the software was just given to dealers on 9/24/07 but all went well and was only at the dealer for 30 minutes total, no charge either! And they even thanked me for bringing in the TSB number. So ZX if and when you hear of the number for the dash backlighting coming on with the ignition let me know!
Thanks again

genestoy January 24th, 2008 4:33 PM

OK -- update, after much discussion with ZX and attempting to somehow wire the gauge lighting into the ignition which he advised would probably mess up the BCM I opted to not go that route. I have now just completed fixing the problem for me anyway by installing a US Speedo white overlay in place of the black original GM one. Would'nt you know it that we have rain today here in Phoenix so can't test it in the bright sunlight but I see no problem and it looks way better than the factory one anyway. I can the see all the guages clearly inside the garage with no lights on so should work well in the sunlight. I called US Speedo direct and they sold it to me for $99 plus $9 shipping Priority Mail and it was here on the 3rd day. The part number I used was 900-120-0730

ZX1100F1 January 24th, 2008 6:11 PM

Gene,
That's a great way to go and I think most of those overlays look very good.