Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dealer scamming me about Nav?

Search this Thread

Old January 9th, 2012, 9:58 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dealer scamming me about Nav?

Hello all! First post, thanks in advance for your help.
Basically I just bought an '08 Tahoe that was listed as an LT with Nav/non-Bose. When getting the carfax it turns out it's an LS. It has an OEM Nav in it (I later discovered that the LS does not come stock with this?). The dealer didn't have a disc, so I bought it on the promise of getting me a disc. They have now tried two disc both reading "disc installed is not a map dvd". They ran it to a Chevy dealer down the road and came back saying "it doesn't have the guts to be a Nav system". It's clearly a Nav system, or the face wouldn't open and ask for a disc correct? After doing my research it appears that whoever had it before me installed the Nav based on the facts that the LS does not come with it, I have no chimes, and I can barely hear the OnStar voice. Basically I want to check my facts with you all because this looks like its going to get ugly. I wouldn't have bought the vehicle if it didn't have Nav. Is it simply a disc read error? Suggestions? Thanks!
Old January 9th, 2012, 10:18 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Well...

what's the sticker on the side say?
LS LT LTZ?

No, the LS, generally does not have sat nav.

from your description it would appear someone attempted to add sat-nav and did a 1/2 *** job.

Your best bet would be to return the vehicle and find one factory.

If you can not return the vehicle we may be able to assist you getting it working.

Yes, you can add the satnav to non vehicles, but it's not fun and requires some work.

getting it 'factory' was the right move on your part, but clearly the seller didn't know the whole story.

Chevrolet VIN Decoder @ Motoverse.com

try that and see. I used to use Comp9, but I guess that no longer exists.
Old January 9th, 2012, 11:11 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

SabrToothSqrl has you on the right track.

I don't even know where to begin - false advertisement, lying, inadequate response from the dealership. I could go on all day long. That dealership is an embarrassment! I understand part of the "homework" should fall to the buyer to ensure they know what they are getting, but come on, really? I am sorry to hear about your experience!

Addressing your navigation question - Yes, an LS can be upgraded with the factory navigation. It's not that hard, but does require some work. There are numerous threads talking about this, and we will be happy to assist you if you want it done right. That being said, this could be an issue with the navigation unit itself. It very well could have been done right, and is simply not working correctly. Or, it could be the wrong unit for your vehicle. This unit could be for the Bose sound system (which is an option on the upper models), but probably is not on your LS.

My Suggestion - Take the vehicle back, if you can. If not, get it fixed right. Let us know how we can help! Good Luck!!