Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Death of the Tahoe on Monday?

Search this Thread

Old May 30th, 2009, 10:59 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Death of the Tahoe on Monday?

Well we all know on Monday GM will file for bankruptcy unless some miracle comes their way.

Obama is pushing his green agenda and now that GM will be 75% owned by the Fed's, do you think GM will still make Big SUVs' like the Tahoe?

I have my doubts as I think the Gov't will say other companies can fill the demand and will force GM to make smaller fuel efficient cars.

I know they will keep GMC, so maybe the yukon will pull through, but I highly doubt there will be any more chevy trucks or large SUV's from chevy.
Old May 31st, 2009, 6:50 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go out and buy one today, maybe you can save GM by doing so.
It is possible that in the near future the HHR may be the large SUV.
Old May 31st, 2009, 6:55 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

The Tahoe, Suburban and Hummer have all been cash cows for GM, they may not be selling now but there is a market for them, cost of fuel is not an issue for some.
Old May 31st, 2009, 7:06 AM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

I heard they are planning on selling Hummer.
Old May 31st, 2009, 7:28 AM
Administrator

Exactly, they will sell the line off and someone else will pick it up because there is a market for that type of vehicle by the public (not the military version)
I would not be surprised that GM gets it back at some point.
Hummers get a bad rap by the tree hugger's, if you need to go off road a Hummer is a pretty good choice of equipment to do it with....
Old May 31st, 2009, 10:34 AM
CF Active Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GM is to announce "Chapter 11 Bankruptcy" on Monday which means that they won't have to pay any creditors they don't want to pay, simple as that, after doing that they will now be able to get a 50 Billion dollar loan from the government. GM isn't going anywhere anytime soon. The Hummer is doomed (95% of them are bought for an "ego trip") and you may see models/lines like the Tahoe & Yukon made into one vehicle only and you may see Chevrolet & GMC merge also, stuff like that. A friend of mine works for a Chev dealer and they found out a week or so ago which dealers are going down the tube also, mostly all the little "Podunk" dealers all over the country. GM can no longer afford to support a small dealer selling only a couple of cars a month and that same small dealer doing many thousands of dollars of warranty work, just costing GM way too much.

Last edited by genestoy; May 31st, 2009 at 10:38 AM.
Old June 1st, 2009, 5:19 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Arlington,TX has been working steady with some OT until recently. They have been exporting a lot of Tahoe's, suburbs, and escalades. quite a few going to
the middle east. Hopefully their not buying them so they can pack more TNT into them. sorry a little black humor. They are not slated as one of the plants to be closed or idled.
Old June 1st, 2009, 5:29 PM
Administrator

Arlington,TX, that is where my Tahoe was built
Old June 1st, 2009, 7:08 PM
Super Moderator
Ride of the Month
May 2009

That's where my Escalade was made also, but here in Baltimore the Allison plant shut down for 3 weeks.
Old June 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The more the messiah says that he doesn't want to run the car companies, the more I think he does. He already kicked Wagner out and got Fritz to cave on the new draconian mileage standards. Bet he has GM making a bunch of small cars that don't sell and then raise prices to increase revenue. That always works. Not. Wonder what he and all the other pols will ride around in when the Tahoes and 'burbs are gone?

Since each dealer has to pay a monthly franchise fee to GM, not sure how cutting the number of dealers helps the bottom line. Also bet there will be a ton of lawsuits (hey the lawyers have to eat too) since those franchises are worth a lot of money to the owners. Not sure what BO is doing is even legal since he is basically forcing the bondholders to take less than most would get in a true Ch. 11 filing and liquidation.

Flame off.

Quick Reply: Death of the Tahoe on Monday?