Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Different / inconsistent length specs?

Search this Thread

Old March 5th, 2012, 8:09 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Different / inconsistent length specs?

Hello,

New here --- I need to securely transport (vertically) 1 or 2 mountain bikes (without removing wheels) plus 1 or 2 medium/large sized dog kennels (36"X24"X26"). I know for a fact that the bikes will fit vertically on a 2012 Chevy Suburban.

However, I have a question: after doing some research on this site, I learned that the distance from the back of the first row seat to the tailgate is approx 101" (with the 3rd seat removed). But what about the second row? I would guess those seats can't be removed, just folded towards the front row.

I also recall reading somewhere that because of this fact, no 8'x4's can be accommodated inside the truck, lying flat on the floor. So, if the 3rd seat is removed, what's the floor length between the tailgate, and the folded second row?

Will a Suburban be large enough for my need, or will I be better served with an Express van? I really prefer the Suburban, but if I can't transport my usual cargo, then it's no good, is it?

Thanks for reading!!
Old March 5th, 2012, 6:27 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can only tell you that i have my 3rd row seats removed and i Have a Large Dog kennel mounted in the rear to transport my German shepherd. It looks like a mountain bike could go on either side of the kennel but not alot of extra room would be left.
Old March 5th, 2012, 6:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by LTL4life
I can only tell you that i have my 3rd row seats removed and i Have a Large Dog kennel mounted in the rear to transport my German shepherd. It looks like a mountain bike could go on either side of the kennel but not alot of extra room would be left.
Thank you very much for your comment. Is that a 400 sized vari-kennel? Bike needs a cargo area of 70" x 28". Given that, you think I couldn't fit another kennel, with the 2nd row folded and the 3rd removed?
Old March 5th, 2012, 7:10 PM
CF Active Member

its the larger Pet-Mate airline carrier about 40"X30". With it centered, you can def. get a mountain bike on each side plus some gear. Dont think you can do 2 crates side by side. Just took an Iphone pic, may not be the greatest but should help. My Suburban is an 07.

Name:  preview_image_0_25176422x.jpg
Views: 422
Size:  68.8 KB
Old March 5th, 2012, 7:20 PM
CF Beginner

its the larger Pet-Mate airline carrier about 40"X30". With it centered, you can def. get a mountain bike on each side plus some gear. Dont think you can do 2 crates side by side. Just took an Iphone pic, may not be the greatest but should help. My Suburban is an 07
Thanks, very useful. My crates are the 400 sized --- approx 36"x24". It doesn't seem you have your 2nd row seats folded? Those are still in their regular position?

Thanks again for your help. Very much appreciated.

Last edited by rrpalma; March 5th, 2012 at 7:23 PM.
Old March 5th, 2012, 7:25 PM
CF Active Member

No, they are not folded. When i transport another dog, i put a blanket on the seat and i have a seat belt attchment that i harness the dog to it.
Old March 5th, 2012, 7:26 PM
CF Beginner

Third seat out, second row (powered) bucket seats folded forward, I can fit 4' X 8' sheets into the back of my 07 Suburban. They fit in my former 05, 01, 99, 95, and 92 Suburbans that all had bench seats in the second row.
Old March 5th, 2012, 7:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by OnBelay
Third seat out, second row (powered) bucket seats folded forward, I can fit 4' X 8' sheets into the back of my 07 Suburban. They fit in my former 05, 01, 99, 95, and 92 Suburbans that all had bench seats in the second row.
Thanks. Really appreciate it. I was worried about this, since I read on another site that it was not possible to fit 8'x4', since the folded second row seats would shorten the length of the cargo floor.

No, they are not folded. When i transport another dog, i put a blanket on the seat and i have a seat belt attchment that i harness the dog to it.
Thanks again; you really don't know how helpful your comments are -- much appreciated. Another question, if you don't mind: do you think that if you folded your second row, you could fit a second kennel, one after the other? Ie, the dogs would be facing each other?

Thank you both again.
Old March 5th, 2012, 8:04 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by rrpalma
Thanks. Really appreciate it. I was worried about this, since I read on another site that it was not possible to fit 8'x4', since the folded second row seats would shorten the length of the cargo floor.

Thanks again; you really don't know how helpful your comments are -- much appreciated. Another question, if you don't mind: do you think that if you folded your second row, you could fit a second kennel, one after the other? Ie, the dogs would be facing each other?

Thank you both again.
It is possible but how would you be able to secure the crate sitting on the folded 2nd row seats? I have a cargo strap around my crate that is anchored to the 3rd row seat mounts.
Old March 5th, 2012, 8:51 PM
CF Beginner

It is possible but how would you be able to secure the crate sitting on the folded 2nd row seats? I have a cargo strap around my crate that is anchored to the 3rd row seat mounts.
I meant both crates, lying on the truck's cargo bed, one after the other (not side by side). Do you think they would fit, length-wise, on the Suburban floor, with the second row folded?

I would probably be able to secure both crates to the 3rd row anchors; using a shorter bungee cord for one and a slightly longer for the other. If this works, I could then also fit one bike at each side of the crates.

Thanks A LOT.

Quick Reply: Different / inconsistent length specs?