Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dual battery now radio won’t work in accessory mode

Search this Thread

Old November 20th, 2020, 6:34 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual battery now radio won’t work in accessory mode

I have a dual battery setup and a smart isolator. I noticed the accessories such as led roof lights and amp were connected to the main battery so I switched them to the 2nd battery leaving just the power wire to the starter and ground on the main battery and of course the wires that connects to the 2nd battery. Since doing this I can’t use the LED light when my key is in accessory mode and I can’t use the stereo with key in same mode or even on position. I do have an amp, led lights, air compressor hooked up. Any ideas why I can’t use these in accessory mode?
Old November 20th, 2020, 9:20 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by bcbbab
I have a dual battery setup and a smart isolator. I noticed the accessories such as led roof lights and amp were connected to the main battery so I switched them to the 2nd battery leaving just the power wire to the starter and ground on the main battery and of course the wires that connects to the 2nd battery. Since doing this I can’t use the LED light when my key is in accessory mode and I can’t use the stereo with key in same mode or even on position. I do have an amp, led lights, air compressor hooked up. Any ideas why I can’t use these in accessory mode?
Year/make/model?
Did you install the dual battery system?
What is a "smart isolator" and what triggers it?
Are you sure which battery is the primary?
Old November 20th, 2020, 9:27 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1998 Suburban
The smart isolator charges the starting battery until it's full then charges the secondary battery. And yes, I have the accessories all on the secondary battery.