Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dual Exhaust for 95 Tahoe?

Search this Thread

Old July 7th, 2008, 11:17 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Exhaust for 95 Tahoe?

OK, the clock is ticking exactly 31 days until son gets his driver's license![:-]He has a 95 Tahoe LT 2 door with 100,400 miles on it right now. It seems to run great and have had it checked out-goes for tranny service tomorrowjust maintenance.
Son has announced he wants to put in a dual exhaust. He already bought a "cold air intake" at least that is what he told me it was. It is in a pretty big box and there are pictures of 3 things on the box[]. The kid has been working out at my husband's work they put him in the forklift shop and showed him how to take a motor apart and a few other thingshe has caught on quick and is servicing and fixing the forklifts now by himself. Works full time from 6am to 2:30 pm until school/football start. He REALLY is enjoying the nice paychecks he is getting and had already saved several hundred dollars before that from odd jobs and birthday money etc. But I am afraid since he is learning about how to "fix things", he is get "Mod Fever". Mom already put the kabosh on the lift kit![]
So he wants to get this dual exhaust. Yeah, it will look cool and probably sound cool. But I have asked both son and husband "what do these things do to the engine?" Do they harm the engine or make it work harder? And what about the "Cold air intake thing"?. It says on the box "increases horsepower"GREAT! Like he needs more HP!May as well get a magnetic sign to put on the car that says "GIVE ME A TICKET"![]
Anyway, can anyone fill me in on these things he wants to do to the car? It seems to be so strong and run so well now I would hate to see it be tortured! Cold air intake? Dual exhaus? Thumbs up or down?
PS: We live in Nor. Califare these things legal? Will the Tahoe pass smog when reg time comes around if these things are added?
Old July 7th, 2008, 3:53 PM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Dual Exhaust for 95 Tahoe?

Both the cold air intake and dual exhaust will not hurt the engine. So from that standpoint - thumbs up.

Do teens actually need more horsepower in a Tahoe? Probably not, but that's what a first car is all about!!!
Old July 8th, 2008, 4:26 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Dual Exhaust for 95 Tahoe?

If he puts on a "cat-back" dual exhaust, then it should still pass emissions assuming it passed before. Don't worry too much about the CAI and duals increased hp as it'll only happen at the upper rpm bracket which he probably won't be at too much.