Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Dual Exhaust or Strait pipe

Search this Thread

Old May 1st, 2009, 3:49 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by rabid85
Ha i might try a glass pack first. They are pretty cheap and it seems pretty simple. I could run the glasspack until i get the headers. I really dont mind it being loud
Just keep in mind that the muffler on a regular truck is under the bed of the truck on a Tahoe its under the passenger and cargo compartment, that sound will reverberate inside the vehicle....
Old May 2nd, 2009, 12:11 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Our engines are designed w/ a certain amount of back pressure in mind so straight pipes will actually reduce your HP and torque.

When doing a H-pipe, you need to know where to put it. It doesn't just go whereever it can fit.
Old May 4th, 2009, 9:29 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cut the stock muffler off a couple of weeks ago on my 97 4 door and have been running it straight pipe(true dual) and it is loud! Almost to the point that it is getting bothersome. I have 2 raptor mufflers from O'Reilly's Auto Parts($29/each) that I'm going to install that are a knock offs of flowmasters, but 73shark is correct in the fact that I'm not getting the back pressure that is required and it is making the engine have a random misfire. Not sure where the H-pipe is suppose to be located, but if you have true duals(different cat for each header) then I would try searching for this information and install the H-pipe while at it. I think that I might look into that as well before I install the Raptors. Always loved the sound of the h-pipe on mustangs. You can spend a lot of money on an exhaust system, but I've run off brand flowmasters before on a 94 z71 and it sounded great. Glass packs are old school, but cheap, so I would suggest going with a performance muffler and spend a little extra on it to make it sound better and might even squeeze a couple of extra mpg's out of it. Everyone will have an opinion on what they feel "sounds" the best, so you might want to do some research and find what you like best. Good luck.

Last edited by timdogg1313; May 4th, 2009 at 9:33 PM.
Old May 7th, 2009, 8:51 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

The H-pipe either goes at a high temperature node or a low temp. one. I can't remember which it is. You have to use a temp. sensitive paint to determine where that spot is. If I had to guess, I'd say the high temp node. Probably find it on Google.
Old August 16th, 2009, 10:57 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question

For those of you that went to true dual exhaust with 2 cat converts - what did you do with the oxy sensor(s). My 89 Sub only has one oxy sensor that reads a mix of both sides as it goes by. Will only one sensor work OK

Thanks