Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

E3 spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old April 20th, 2010, 11:13 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E3 spark plugs

I'm about to replace the plugs and wires in my 02 burb. Has anyone tried using these plugs? Did you like them? Did they work as advertised? Thanks for your help.
Old April 20th, 2010, 11:31 AM
CF Active Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know someone that has used them. did not really say if there where any better but could have not been any worse because if they where he would have complained. he is using the plugs in a 99 burb 454 with a blower. he says he did notice a different when using them in his small engines around the house. lawn morrow weed wacker and so on. hope this helps
Old April 20th, 2010, 8:23 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

If they really produced more power, lower emissions, better mpg, etc, don't you think the OEMs would use them? I put them in the same category as cow magnets, mothballs in your gas tank, etc.
Old April 20th, 2010, 8:28 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 73shark
If they really produced more power, lower emissions, better mpg, etc, don't you think the OEMs would use them? I put them in the same category as cow magnets, mothballs in your gas tank, etc.
x2. I recommend staying with the OE plug
Old April 21st, 2010, 7:32 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default well

I used the Bosch +2s in my Wrangler and right away noticed a much smoother idle, and smoother 800-2,000 RPM range...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/platinum-2-...9&zmap=30805G#

I dont know about 'more' power, but they are smoother...
Old April 21st, 2010, 1:57 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 73shark
not necessarily, OEM parts also have the companies bottom line figured in when they are designed/produced. sure they perform fine but there are many aftermarket parts that perform better for the same or less money vs OEM parts.
But I do agree, that the difference between these plugs and the OEMs is probably negligible.
Old April 21st, 2010, 2:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

i've done research and experiments over the years with different plugs, to see if they really do what they claim. what most people don't think about or understand is that if the rest of the ignition system is sub-par, then these $9 per plug plugs won't make a bit of difference. the stock oem wires have a higher resistance, basic inner core conductor, so the spark isn't quite what it could be. argue if you will, but if oem produced the best spark, there would be no need for aftermarket parts. i've been able to measure the amount of spark, voltage that oem and various aftermarket wires and plugs produce, so i've seen first hand what works and what doesn't. there are some "performance" plugs that aren't any better than cheap ones, same with wires. then factor in other distributor parts, if equipped. everything must play together, or even the most expensive, best parts won't work right. now, as far as stock apps go, E3 aren't any better than anything else. in fact, none of the performance are. to get full use out of performance plugs, you'd need to upgrade rest of ignition, i.e. quality wires, distributor parts, battery cables, power wires, coil.
Old April 21st, 2010, 2:48 PM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default spark plugs?!

Spark plugs are so 1920s..

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/Ford-Las...news-4248.html
Old April 21st, 2010, 8:48 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Originally Posted by maxxman04
i've done research and experiments over the years with different plugs, to see if they really do what they claim. what most people don't think about or understand is that if the rest of the ignition system is sub-par, then these $9 per plug plugs won't make a bit of difference. the stock oem wires have a higher resistance, basic inner core conductor, so the spark isn't quite what it could be. argue if you will, but if oem produced the best spark, there would be no need for aftermarket parts. i've been able to measure the amount of spark, voltage that oem and various aftermarket wires and plugs produce, so i've seen first hand what works and what doesn't. there are some "performance" plugs that aren't any better than cheap ones, same with wires. then factor in other distributor parts, if equipped. everything must play together, or even the most expensive, best parts won't work right. now, as far as stock apps go, E3 aren't any better than anything else. in fact, none of the performance are. to get full use out of performance plugs, you'd need to upgrade rest of ignition, i.e. quality wires, distributor parts, battery cables, power wires, coil.
Show me some documented results that include how tests were conducted, test equipment used for measurements, and were tests done under loaded conditions for a start and I'll consider your results.

When GM first introduced HEI, they had to electronically limit the dwell because they couldn't find wires that could standoff the 70 KV+ that the system was producing.

I do agree that you need to make sure that the entire ignition system is up to par to obtain max results.
Old April 21st, 2010, 9:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

testing was done quite a few years ago out of my own curiousity with no thought to documenting it. i'm not saying that what i did is the gospel, or trying to convince anyone. i'm merely stating what i observed while testing, what i've read about various products, and the basics of electricity, resistance, and the conductor material. i do agree with your statement of the hei distributor, back then, there were no wires that could handle that power, most wires available to public today couldn't handle quite that much. however, unless you're pushing well over 500 hp, it's not necessary. if that kind of power is needed, then a person should look into magneto type distributors.

Quick Reply: E3 spark plugs