Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Electrical/Ground issue? Need help diagnosing/fixing...

Search this Thread

Old July 4th, 2016, 9:49 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical/Ground issue? Need help diagnosing/fixing...

I have an issue that I can't figure out, and need some help with it. This started a while back, when I was installing a new set of speakers. I already had an aftermarket radio in, and it worked fine. I went to install new speakers and my passenger side window stopped working (power). I tried rewiring the speakers and taking them back out and nothing seemed to change. I didn't bother with it as it didn't affect me as the driver and went on. The other day my radio was bugging out so I was going to reset it by taking out the fuse/pulling the power. When I pulled the radio out, it suddenly didn't want to power back on -- just removing/replacing the harness. I kept messing with it but nothing seemed to work. I have the same radio in my Trans Am, so I plugged it in there and the radio powers on and works fine. So I feel like this is the same issue I am facing with the window - and it seems to be just possibly a bad ground, but I don't know any ground locations or where to even start checking.

Anybody have insight or diagrams that may help?

1997 Suburban K1500
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 352 Likes on 333 Posts

You can run a wire from a known good ground to the radio and see if it starts working. That will tell you if it is a ground problem. You can also leave it like that and enjoy the radio, it will not hurt anything. You can also do the same thing with the passenger window motor to see if that solves that problem. It is very time consuming to trace all the wires looking for a bad spot. This is a simple way to fix the problem if it is a bad ground.
Old July 4th, 2016, 2:15 PM
CF Junior Member

The radio issue turned out to be that the fuses got blown...I switched them out with others and radio booted up. Took out harness and put heat tubing over everything so hopefully no wires cross again.

The way the plug on the window motor is setup, it doesn't look like it would be easy to attach a ground elsewhere without splicing the wire, and since the plug goes back into the whole car harness, I don't want to do that.

I broke out my multi-meter while messing with the truck - I put it up to the plug that goes into the window motor and got negative voltage rolling it down, positive rolling it up from the driver's side button. But I get no voltage from the passenger side when I press the window button at all. I guess that the motor itself could be bad, but I would think I would see some sort of voltage from the passenger side switch which I don't. Still thinking that it might be a bad ground somewhere...
Old July 5th, 2016, 5:50 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Check the "Window-Lock-Out-Switch" on the drivers door.
Old July 5th, 2016, 5:35 PM
CF Junior Member

If only it was that simple..
Old July 5th, 2016, 8:06 PM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Guitar
I broke out my multi-meter while messing with the truck - I put it up to the plug that goes into the window motor and got negative voltage rolling it down, positive rolling it up from the driver's side button. But I get no voltage from the passenger side when I press the window button at all. I guess that the motor itself could be bad, but I would think I would see some sort of voltage from the passenger side switch which I don't. Still thinking that it might be a bad ground somewhere...
Just so we're clear. Does the passenger window work when you use the drivers door switch, but not the passenger door switch? If yes, the motor is OK. Check for 12V at the passenger door switch on pin 'F'. Pins 'J' and 'L' should show continuity to chassis ground. Since you were in the doors with the speaker installation I'd double check the plugs and wire harness going to and inside the door. (both sides) Make sure the plugs are tight, and the wires have not been pulled loose from the plugs.
Old July 7th, 2016, 8:33 PM
CF Junior Member

The passenger window doesn't work at all regardless of which switch is used. I will check the passenger switch this weekend. I unplugged the motor plug and tested it using the driver's side switch, and got positive/negative readings when putting it up/down. When I tested the passenger side switch I got nothing, but it's possible that my window button was on lock - so I will test the plug again using the passenger switch. I think that will let me know if the motor is dead - it could have just been coincidence that it died at the same time I was replacing speakers (maybe before and I hadn't rolled it down for a while).