Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Electricals issue 02 suburban 1500 LT

Search this Thread

Old November 19th, 2019, 6:07 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electricals issue 02 suburban 1500 LT

I’ve had my suburban for around 12 years now and something odd happened yesterday afternoon, I ran out of gas, which happens obviously, but instead of even trying to start, when I turned the ignition all the electronics just shut off without making any sound, I let it sit for a day and now it runs fine but I was wondering if this will ever grow into a worse issue or was it just a one off event?
Old November 20th, 2019, 2:18 AM
CF Monarch

Received 263 Likes on 255 Posts

Originally Posted by Alaskan_Jesus
I’ve had my suburban for around 12 years now and something odd happened yesterday afternoon, I ran out of gas, which happens obviously, but instead of even trying to start, when I turned the ignition all the electronics just shut off without making any sound, I let it sit for a day and now it runs fine but I was wondering if this will ever grow into a worse issue or was it just a one off event?
Hard to say but I wouldn't worry about it. I've run out of fuel on some older vehicle I had that didn't have a warning light. That said its not good on the fuel pump.to run dry..
Old November 20th, 2019, 8:53 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 166 Likes on 137 Posts

3.5 years ago Mrs. Cusser was driving our 1998 Frontier, and it just stalled on the road; she wasn't shifting gears or starting from a stop either, and she couldn't re-start it. I went there, couldn't re-start it either, AAA towed it to my home for free.

I couldn't start it there either; I made a mistake and didn't check for spark first, I added some aerosol starting fluid and it started up, and ran OK after 30 seconds. There was a check engine code, I drove that in to have that read, and code was for distributor or the coil inside the distributor. Anyway, light was cleared, never did anything, and 3.5 years later this NEVER happened again, no check engine light. And Mrs. Cusser is no longer fearful to drive that.

Moral of the story is: no one knows about yours, and more modern = more problems !!!
Old November 21st, 2019, 10:28 AM
CF Active Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had some misc gremlins on my 00 model. I would highly recommend that you disconnect the negative cable from the battery, follow it down to the engine block, remove that bolt and clean that surface. These things get weird when the grounding, especially to the computer, isn't rock solid. It takes 15 minutes and can save a real hassle down the road.
The following users liked this post:
a55bruce (November 22nd, 2019)
Old November 22nd, 2019, 10:15 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Remove/clean battery cables, and check ground straps.