Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Enclosed trailer???

Search this Thread

Old November 24th, 2006, 11:38 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Enclosed trailer???

I am reposting this from my CorvetteForum post. I realize there are a lot of the same questions in here as my Towing Advice post.....

I am looking into getting an enclosed trailer, probably by next March/April....so I can trailer my car over to Seattle to get on some of the tracks over there. I will also need one when the time comes to move (I'm in the Air Force, so it will happen)....and for all future road trips to track her! I know open trailers cost a lot less....but I think I like the idea of my baby being enclosed...for numerous reasons...security from people and from flying rocks, etc.

Here is my tow vehicle: 2002 Z71 Tahoe - w/MagnaCharger. According to what I can tell from my manual, the max trailer weight for my 5.3L V8 is 7,600lbs....assuming I have a 3.73 rear end...I'll have to double check that tomorrow...it would be more with the 4.10s. I've heard you don't really want to tow up to the limit of the vehicle as it will severly decrease the life of the transmission and other various parts. It also lists 13,000lbs for the GCWR (Gross Combination Weight Rating). I'm going to try here in the next few weeks to find some experts here locally in towing...as to what, if anything I need to do to my rig to make it safer and easier to tow a trailer....it came with the "tow package" on it....not sure what that means exactly.....lol....besides the hitch and connector for the lights.....I think it also included a transmission cooler. I could be wrong on that...if it doesn't, I'm guessing adding a good transmission cooler would be a good idea? possibly an oil cooler, too?

I've heard of Haulmark, Interstate, Wells Cargo and I'm sure there are probably dozens of other companies out there. I know lighter weight means $$$, but is it worth it for aluminum flooring versus plywood? to cut down on weight? I would think, even a thousand extra would pay for itself in the long run....especially if I use it a lot...not to mention my next move from WA to KS..... I'm guessing the "V Nose" trailers would be better then the "barn door" ones....as far as MPG during towing.....I'd like to have enough room for some tools and my other set of wheels/tires, jack, etc. Anyone know a good size? 22' or 24'? Just curious if you guys have any insight for me...or a good place to go on the internet for this kind of advice.

Thanks!
Old November 25th, 2006, 12:25 AM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts
Default RE: Enclosed trailer???

Good luck on your trailer hunt. If you move close to Topeka, KS check out Heartland's tracks. They have great dragstrip and some friends say that the road track is great.
Old November 27th, 2006, 9:59 PM
CF Beginner

73shark...cool...yea...I'll be looking for some good road course tracks in the KS area when I get there!

Any other takers on my questions???? Thanks.

Old November 29th, 2006, 1:51 PM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tanker:

I currently own a 07 4X4 Tahoe LTZ with 3:73 gears. I tow an enclosed 24' V-nose trailer quite often. My trailer is a Continental Cargo, Snow King, manufactured in Indiana by Forest River. They are one of the bigger RV/Travel Trailer companies. I've owned it for two years now and have no complaints. Haulmark, Featherlight, and Wells Cargo seem to be the bigger names. I've heard featherlight is the best, but I can't really say. I'd try to avoid something you've never heard of as it will make it harder to get parts/service in the future when you need it. I've noticed that my truck searches quite a bit between 3rd and 4th gear so now I tow in 3rd. I believe your supercharger will help pick up some of the slack there. My trailer has a maximum weight of 7,000 LBs. I paid around $9,000.00 for it out the door. It has an aluminum frame with plywood decking. The trailer itself weighs in around 2,000 LBs. This leaves around 5,000 LBs. for cargo. The limit on my trailer is the axles, it has two 3,500 pound axles. It is my understanding that this is the most common setup. I believe you can order a trailer with two 5,000 Lb axles as well, but most of the ones you will see have 3,500lb. axles. One thing for sure is to make sure you have torsion axles. At least I think that is what they are called. You want to make sure you get electric brakes, a good brake controller, and always a good jack. Pitpal is a great company to purchase trailer accessories from. I believe their website is www.pitpal.com. I hope I helped a little, if you have any specific questions or need more help let me know.

Jason
Old December 10th, 2006, 4:03 PM
CF Beginner

Thanks Jason! Sorry I've been out on the road for a couple weeks. What kind of car do you haul? I'll probably have to take my car to a dealer to figure out if I need a 22 or 24' trailer. I want enough room to put my tools and extra set of wheels. I've heard of Featherlite, but I just noticed after going to their website, that they are made in my home state of Iowa.....weird. There is actually a featherlite dealer here in my town...so I'm gonna go check them out. Yea....I'll go with a V-nose, no doubt....debating if the extra $$$ is worth an aluminum deck...versus plywood....I'm thinking the weight savings and thus the savings in fuel $$$ would pay for itself over the life of the trailer...and then some. The featherlite's that I saw have 4800lb axles...if my memory serves me...maybe that is why they are so darn expensive! lol What are the special axles for? I've heard of torsion axles...just not smart on what that actually means.....