Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Engaging DVD on front screen while in Drive

Search this Thread

Old March 6th, 2015, 6:19 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engaging DVD on front screen while in Drive

Hello guys. I did a search on this topic but didn't find anything.

We've had our 2011 Sub for about 6 months now. Enjoying it very much. We've taken a couple of long road trips with our two young boys (8 and 10 yrs old). They watch DVD movies on the Nav system and it's worked out great except for one thing. While on the road, we need the movie to display on the front screen so my wife (sitting shotgun) can fast forward through scenes that the we don't want the boys seeing. When you have 8 and 10 year old boys, they want to watch PG-13 movies where 80% of the content is fine for them to watch, but the other 20% is not.

I went into an car AV store and they sell a "module" for $650.00 that bypasses and enables the picture on the front screen while in Drive. Thats a crazy amount of $ to enable this feature. I also know the after market DVD Nav systems do this, but they're over $2000.00. So here's the question: Does anybody know of a way to do this on the stock OEM system?

One last thing, I've read enough posts on the Board here about disabling DRLs and seatbelt chimes to know that some people will want to tell me all the reasons why this shouldn't be done. I know about those reasons, and the spirit of this is not watch movies on my commute to work. So please spare me those comments, as they don't help me solve the issue.

Thanks all, and I look forward to any solutions or ideas anybody might have.
Old March 7th, 2015, 2:15 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

A lot of the modules cost because they know the supply and demand is there and I would suspect that there is some libel involved...
Do you have a navigation system?
Does the front display work when the vehicle is in park?
you may need to remove the VSS wire that runs to the system so that the display thinks the truck is not moving, however doing so could disrupt the accuracy of your navigation system....
Old March 7th, 2015, 3:50 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Check out these folks. I believe their Lockpick is what you're looking for.
Old March 7th, 2015, 9:59 PM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks so much, you two! 73shark, that lockpick is exactly what what I'm looking for. Still surprised its 250 bucks, but that's WAY better than 650!

Much appreciated. Take care.
Old March 9th, 2015, 7:44 AM
CF Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default yep

LockPick is about the only option I know of...