Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

exhaust manifold flange nut massacre...

Search this Thread

Old September 5th, 2023, 7:53 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default exhaust manifold flange nut massacre...

Trying to remove my exhaust on my 07 5.3 4wd Suburban...

passenger side has all 3 flange nut removed. Driver side has 2 removed and one that appears to have welded itself to the stud (see pics). Anyways, before I end up cutting off the stud and nut, I thought I would post here for a possible solution that can salvage the stud itself. Between a nut splitter and drill, I have severed the nut but its still holding onto the stud as if its part of the stud.

Let me here what you guys would do at his point?

thanks

Old September 5th, 2023, 8:02 AM
CF Monarch

Received 350 Likes on 331 Posts

I would try soaking the stud with Blaster at the top on the exhaust manifold itself and then try to back out the stud. It looks like the stud is already damaged and needs replacing anyway. It's worth a try!
Old September 5th, 2023, 9:16 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

so basically back it out downward using a pair of vice grips along with oil and heat?

I was hoping to break off that nut and salvage the stud by installing a spacer for the damaged area followed by a new nut.
Old September 5th, 2023, 7:31 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by 94burb
so basically back it out downward using a pair of vice grips along with oil and heat?

I was hoping to break off that nut and salvage the stud by installing a spacer for the damaged area followed by a new nut.
You would be in great shape if you are able to remove the stud and thread in a new stud. Looks to me that maybe the end of that stud is shaped to accept a socket.
Old September 6th, 2023, 2:23 AM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In that the nut is trashed and the end of the stud is beyond use by any socket, I would suggest taking a torch to the manifold and vice-grips to the stud. Once the manifold is red-hot, take the vice-grips to the stud and back it out. Use appropriate safety precautions!