Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

factory matching paint

Search this Thread

Old November 11th, 2006, 5:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default factory matching paint

I can't seem to find the spray cans of paint for my color. I've ordered paint from "paint scratch" etc online but I was just looking to get some stuff to do the bowtie and another secret item (show ya later) I tried Autozone and Wally world but no Sport Red Metallic. Any other ideas? I have left over adhesive promoter, primer, and clear from paint scratch delivery (last veh) but need base color. I really hoped to take advantage of this incredible weather this weekend.
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:00 PM
CF Addict

Default RE: factory matching paint

Do you think just white, will work for the chevy summit white? It seems summit is just a bright white. it isnt off white or any kahki!

I might try it today! What kind of prep do you think should be done to the plastic bowtie? Just alcohol? Or do you think take some very very very fine paper to it? I have no idea. Maybe just paiting it will work. I dont know what are your guys opinions?
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:07 PM
CF Veteran

Clean it real well. You can use something as simple as a scotchbrite to scuff it. Because it is plastic use adhesive promoter, then prime and paint as normal. Krylon fusion is designed for plastic and is supposed to stick all by itself. I'm going adhesive prom., primer, base and clear. if you use krylon it won't have that clear coat shine so you can clear it after. The results I have seen are real good but not as good as the base clear.

some people go all the way and color sand to get the extreme shine.
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:10 PM
CF Addict

Are you going to paint the black trim around the bowtie, or just the gold emblem in the center? I dont know whether to paint it all or leave the black border/edging!
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:12 PM
CF Veteran

With my color I'm painting the whole part. If I had white or silver birch I would leave the black edge. Tape it off real well then use an exacto to trim at the line between to two. It's faster than triying to tape it exactly up front.
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:15 PM
CF Addict

I am going to go to the rc hobby shop in a bit and try the sticky film first. Then if that doesnt work then I am going to try and paint it. Thanks again and keep me up to date on yours and I will do the same.

Landon
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:17 PM
CF Veteran

Use the taping method I mentioned and it should keep the job simple. Lay the film over the bowtie. cut at the outer edge, closest to the black. Once you cut you can roll the very small excess into the gap over the outer edge of the gold. You MAY have to relief cut at the inside corners so it will lay into gap.

good luck
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:20 PM
CF Addict

I called the hobby store. The only have it in a 6 foot roll. I am not sure it is worth the 20 bucks to get 7 inches. Any other places that might have a sticky vinyl??????
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:22 PM
CF Veteran

I know some woman would pay $20 for 7"

buy it and split it with others. i'm sure you could get $5 for sections and maybe even come out ahead.
Old November 11th, 2006, 6:24 PM
CF Addict

ORIGINAL: tahoe07

I know some woman would pay $20 for 7"

buy it and split it with others. i'm sure you could get $5 for sections and maybe even come out ahead.
Wonder what she would pay for 7 1/8!

I will go and see what I can find. The close shortly so I had better get going! Thanks again.

Quick Reply: factory matching paint