Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Failures by Age (Suburbans)

Search this Thread

Old July 12th, 2009, 8:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Failures by Age (Suburbans)

We have a 2001 Suburban with 120K miles. It replaced a 97 Tahoe. We love this vehicle.

A/C is having problems. If we are looking at a big $$ repair, I am considering replacing with a 2004 - 2006 lower mileage used model.

What would be extremely helpful would be information on various typical failures of this model series. I would be looking for more major repairs. AKA, could we push ours to 200K, assuming good care along the way? Or, how far can we push it.

All advice and input is appreciated. If these statistics exists somewhere, I would greatly appreciate a pointer.

Thanks
Wes
Old July 12th, 2009, 3:23 PM
Super Moderator
Professional Mechanic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Over time all Ac systems slowly lose charge. Based on the age and if the system has never been charged that maybe all you need. However if you have a true leak ( leaks over days or weeks not years) you could be looking at any where between 200-1000.00+ for the repair. However to replace the truck over the AC would be a waste unless you are looking for a reason to get a new one. If you like it fix it even if you have to put the repair on a credit card and pay for it over a few months a newer truck would be a payment for at least 5 years. I really do not see many high dollar repairs on these trucks except for normal maintenance and brake work. The most common failure is intake gaskets which is less than 500.00 to fix. Now if you had the older body 5.7 liter that would be a different story. Transmission and fuel before 100,000.Fuel injectors before 150,000 is very common especially if they are the poppet style. Repeated intake gasket failures every 30k or so (for a coolant leak). Common for alternators and starters and I have even done a few rear ends. You have the body where the trucks seem to have become really reliable
Old July 12th, 2009, 3:32 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Consumer reports
Attached Thumbnails Failures by Age (Suburbans)-burb-review.jpg  
Old July 12th, 2009, 6:42 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

Welcome to the Chevrolet Forum.
Old July 15th, 2009, 12:17 PM
CF Beginner

deleted text and rewrote in another forum

Last edited by sjmahersr; July 15th, 2009 at 12:37 PM. Reason: move to other forum
Old August 10th, 2009, 4:08 PM
CF Beginner

I have an '03 Tahoe that I bought 3 years ago with around 40K miles. This is my favorite of all the 25 or so vehicles that I have owned in my life. Now have 85K miles and here's the maintenance history. I think most of these are pretty common for these vehicles:

- 3 a/c compressors in the last 3 years.
- now have some sort of hvac blend door issue as rear air blows cold and front blows ambient.
- now have intake manifold gasket failure
- just replaced rear brake rotors. Originals were badly rusted, which I hear is common.
- front brake rotors needed to be machined.
- recently replaced failed starter.
- had to have something done (can't remember what exactly) to the front transfer case because it started slinging its lubricating oil all over the front left wheel.
- Bose amplifier is on the fritz as sometimes the radio's sound will completely quit.
- Keeping fingers and toes crossed that fuel pump and transmission hang in there until I can rebuild some savings!

All in all, as much as I love this truck, it's lately becoming pretty much of an expensive garage queen.
Old August 10th, 2009, 4:36 PM
CF Beginner

Cool '03 Suburban LT

We have a "03 Suburban purchased new in Sept '02. Currentlty 67000 mi on it. Its my wifes daily driver and she is very easy on vehicles(Factory brakes still on it and have some life left in them). We went with the 20" wheels and tires at 60k(Factory tires are still good but went on a long road trip and didn't want any problems). We had the typical gage cluster problem that was repaired under warranty. The drivers heated seat is currently broken along with the flapping sound from the a/c belt tensioner. Love the truck for traveling,hate having a/c problems.
Old August 10th, 2009, 5:01 PM
CF Beginner

Right. Forgot to mention the cluster. Had that replaced too under the extended warranty GM provided on that part.

Note to all: when you buy a used vehicle, make sure and register with the manufacturer. GM sent me a letter inviting me to have the cluster replaced, long after the truck was out of original warranty.

Oh, and this truck had 3 intermediate steering shafts replaced under warranty before I bought it. I've had it lubed once.