Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900
Old July 24th, 2015, 4:42 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Engine and Powertrian
Print Wikipost

Fan clutch?

Search this Thread

Old February 16th, 2013, 6:00 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fan clutch?

Hi all,

Been having a problem with my '99 7.4 (big block) running too cold, usually well below 180. This seems to cause the 'burb to get worse mpg than it should. It was suggested I swap out the t'stat to a 195, so I recently did, no change. In talking to a mechanic (pro) I know, we noticed the air behind the fan was cold, really cold. Then we noticed the fan was turning when it should not be.

Anyone have similar experience? I want a bit more input before I spend the $$ on the fan clutch. Should it stop turning at some point?

Thank you,
Larry
Old February 16th, 2013, 6:38 PM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by L5wolvesf
Hi all,

Been having a problem with my '99 7.4 (big block) running too cold, usually well below 180. This seems to cause the 'burb to get worse mpg than it should. It was suggested I swap out the t'stat to a 195, so I recently did, no change. In talking to a mechanic (pro) I know, we noticed the air behind the fan was cold, really cold. Then we noticed the fan was turning when it should not be.

Anyone have similar experience? I want a bit more input before I spend the $$ on the fan clutch. Should it stop turning at some point?

Thank you,
Larry
was the mechanic a ford tech. when a ford clutch fan disengages you can see it...not so for chevy clutch fans. Chevy fans appear to be turning all the time.
if you think the fan clutch is the issue; run the engine for a brief time with the fan clutch removed to see if it comes to temp or remove the fan shrouding to make the fan less effective.

Last edited by tech2; February 16th, 2013 at 6:45 PM.
Old February 16th, 2013, 8:37 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I currently have the same deal with my truck. if the truck is cold, the fan rpm will not be close to what the engine rpm is.

If it's cold you can go out there and try to turn your fan and it's hard to turn your clutch is bad. it should spin freely.

if you listen close you can hear it too.
Old February 16th, 2013, 11:42 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

L5wolvesf: Welcome to the forum.

I'd pull the t-stat and make sure it opens and fully closes in boiling water. Even if it sticks open about 1/16", the engine will run cold.
Old February 17th, 2013, 8:06 AM
CF Monarch

Received 138 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by tech2
was the mechanic a ford tech. when a ford clutch fan disengages you can see it...not so for chevy clutch fans. Chevy fans appear to be turning all the time.
if you think the fan clutch is the issue; run the engine for a brief time with the fan clutch removed to see if it comes to temp or remove the fan shrouding to make the fan less effective.
Or stick a piece of cardboard in it.
Old February 17th, 2013, 8:08 AM
Super Moderator

Received 509 Likes on 469 Posts

Originally Posted by kevinkpk
Or stick a piece of cardboard in it.
even better
Old February 17th, 2013, 10:43 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
That was going to be my suggestion too, when its loaded you hear it moving air, when its not, its much quieter...but still spinning
Old February 17th, 2013, 1:48 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

The fan is not the problem. The t-stat should still regulate the temp. even if the fan runs full speed all of the time. The only reason for fan clutches was to reduce load on engine and thus improve mpg. While blocking the radiator may elevate the temp., it's covering up the real problem

Another thing to check would be the accuracy of the temp gauge.
Old February 18th, 2013, 3:10 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
was the mechanic a ford tech.
General mechanic.
Old February 18th, 2013, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by hicksvilleshick
I currently have the same deal with my truck. if the truck is cold, the fan rpm will not be close to what the engine rpm is.

If it's cold you can go out there and try to turn your fan and it's hard to turn your clutch is bad. it should spin freely.

I can turn it, but it won’t spin freely

Quick Reply: Fan clutch?