Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Follow Up v 2.0 Suburban AC Chirp, very frustrated

Search this Thread

Old September 3rd, 2011, 3:04 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Follow Up v 2.0 Suburban AC Chirp, very frustrated

Posted a month or so ago about my 2002 Suburban making a chirping type noise when accelerating and the A/C was on. Started happening back in June when had to make a quick U turn. Belts checked, tensioner replaced, etc. Took to dealership, told it was the AC compressor. So, after $600 plus, compressor replaced, picked up Wednesday. Today, drove through a car wash, when pulled out......

the GD noise started again. There is no way a car wash can kill a brand new AC compressor....

Can somebody please tell me what the F is causing this noise? I am at my whits end on this.....I am now reconvinced its a belt issue somewhere. Only makes the noise when RPM is at 1500, both accelerating and decelerating. And since I made the u turn, my power steering has been weak at a low RPM, like pulling into a parking lot, etc.

Somebody please help me!!!!
Old September 3rd, 2011, 3:48 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by valvano
Posted a month or so ago about my 2002 Suburban making a chirping type noise when accelerating and the A/C was on. Started happening back in June when had to make a quick U turn. Belts checked, tensioner replaced, etc. Took to dealership, told it was the AC compressor. So, after $600 plus, compressor replaced, picked up Wednesday. Today, drove through a car wash, when pulled out......

the GD noise started again. There is no way a car wash can kill a brand new AC compressor....

Can somebody please tell me what the F is causing this noise? I am at my whits end on this.....I am now reconvinced its a belt issue somewhere. Only makes the noise when RPM is at 1500, both accelerating and decelerating. And since I made the u turn, my power steering has been weak at a low RPM, like pulling into a parking lot, etc.

Somebody please help me!!!!

would lead me to think that for whatever reason your powersteering pump is trying to lock up or putting quite a bit of strain on the belt.
the only way to really test it is to replace the pump.

Old September 3rd, 2011, 4:49 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

theo whole problem started when i had to make a sudden, sharp u turn in baltimore back in june. ever since then, my a/c has been making this noise when accelerating / decelerating at the 1500 rpm mark, and my power steering has been near bout dead at low rpm. a deadly grinding noise when turning at low rpm. not all the time, but most of the time.