Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Front Shocks - What to do?

Search this Thread

Old August 1st, 2014, 10:08 AM
CF Active Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Front Shocks - What to do?

So my tahoe, on the list of things needed done, also needs new front shocks I believe as I hear just about every little bump bump in the road by way of an empty sounding thud thud...sounds like someone drumming an empty 5 gallon bucket.

Anyways, I am lucky to have the z55 suspension package, but not really feeling the idea of spending another $400 on front shocks (recently did rears). I'd love to keep the electronic suspension up there but have resigned myself that unless I hear back from some used part places I have contacted, which I doubt I will, it isn't going to happen.

Now I know arnott makes replacement bilsteins that come with a connector that tells the computer all is good, and i'm pretty certain that connector is just a resistor...I can find a bunch of splice in style resistor packs for this purpose on ebay for about $20.

So I am thinking of getting those. Bust what shock would I put up there to replace whats there? I don't need to lift anything or lower anything, I just want to get something decent that I can have swapped into the existing assembly or that comes with the spring, that won't cost an arm and a leg.
Old August 1st, 2014, 12:18 PM
CF Active Member

Anybody with a suggestion? I can buy and wire in the resistors for a few dollars. I really just need suggestions on a replacement shock up front that doesn't have the autoride dampening feature since I will be bypassing it.
Old August 1st, 2014, 7:24 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

if your going to bypass, then any shock that fits the ls/lt should do...now a matter of budget.
Old August 4th, 2014, 3:38 PM
CF Active Member

Yup. All set now. For those that are having similar questions about how and what to do, you can just wire in a 3.9 ohm 25 watt resistor where the sensor connects. I have a 2007 LTZ and thats what I did. Granted its only been a couple of drive cycles but I haven't seen a error message on the DIC yet.

Got the new struts put in today and all is good. Still cost me way more than I wanted to spend but the quotes I was getting for the electronic stuff were approximately $1000 more than what I did spend.

Edit: The 25 watt might be overkill, its just what I had seen other people do from searching the internet. From the gauge of the wire, if you pulled 25 watts through that, it would probably melt the harness. But who knows. For now, it is working.