Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Fuse location help

Search this Thread

Old January 24th, 2018, 6:58 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fuse location help

I have a 2002 Suburban with leather seats, power front seats, and seat heater. The driver seat no longer moves and the seat heater only works on low, no high. I figure before I start replacing seat motors, the dealer said $1300 for parts alone, that I’d try the fuses. Anyone know which fuse I should start with, instead of pulling them all until I find one? I’d rather not pull what I don’t need to. The seat location is fine for me at 6’4”, but the 5’8” wife is at a little disadvantage lol.

Thanks,

Jay

Last edited by SasquatchUSMC; January 24th, 2018 at 6:59 PM. Reason: Misspelling
Old January 25th, 2018, 7:54 AM
CF Active Member

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The seat motors get the power from the left side instrument panel fuse block circuit breaker "SEAT CB" .
If the passenger seat moves then the circuit breaker is OK, as it powers both sides.
I'd also check the connectors under the seat.
Old January 25th, 2018, 8:05 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks for the info. I wasn’t sure if both seats are on the same fuse, but it makes sense that they do. I’ll check the connections, but I imagine it’s a motor. Wouldn’t surprise me on a 16 year old vehicle.
Old January 25th, 2018, 8:16 AM
CF Active Member

Does the seat move at all (up down forward backward)? There are 3 motors moving the seat. It's unlikely all 3 would go bad.
Don't forget to check the switches.
Old January 25th, 2018, 8:19 AM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

tap the motor housing with a hammer while holding the button in a position to close the switch (any direction as long as the seat is not at the end of its range in that direction). when the motor brushes wear, sometimes a tap will move the brush to make better contact and the motor will move. If it does start working; it will eventually fail again, replace the motor.
Old January 29th, 2018, 4:44 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by a55bruce
Does the seat move at all (up down forward backward)? There are 3 motors moving the seat. It's unlikely all 3 would go bad.
Don't forget to check the switches.
The only thing that works is the lumbar support. The chair doesn’t move forward or back, the seat back does not tilt in either direction, and the seat cushion will not tilt. The seat warmer only works on low.
Old January 29th, 2018, 4:45 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by tech2
tap the motor housing with a hammer while holding the button in a position to close the switch (any direction as long as the seat is not at the end of its range in that direction). when the motor brushes wear, sometimes a tap will move the brush to make better contact and the motor will move. If it does start working; it will eventually fail again, replace the motor.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if it were just the contact with the brushes, shouldn’t the motor still make noise and just not move? There’s no sound at all. Every once in a while it would only move an inch at a time, then go back to moving regularly, but now that isn’t even an option anymore.
Old January 29th, 2018, 1:25 PM
CF Active Member

Originally Posted by SasquatchUSMC
Correct me if I’m wrong, but if it were just the contact with the brushes, shouldn’t the motor still make noise and just not move? ...
Both brushes in the motor have to be making contact to complete the circuit. If the circuit is open, the motor does not move or make any sound of trying to move.
If the passenger seat moves (power is getting to the seats), you'll have to get under the seat to find the problem. While pressing the switch, check for power at the motor (red & black wires) with a meter or test light.
You can test the motors by unplugging and applying power to the red and black wires going to the motor. If the motor stalls trying to go the wrong direction reverse the power leads feeding the motor.
Check to see that the wires into the connector going to the switches have not been pulled apart, especially the orange and black wires (12v and ground).