Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Gas Tank Capacity 04 Tahoe Z71

Search this Thread

Old December 9th, 2020, 11:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gas Tank Capacity 04 Tahoe Z71

Hi, I recently bought a 2004 Tahoe Z71. it had been sitting dormant for a year when I bought it, and did a lot of TLC to bring it back right. The latest thing that is giving me problems is the gas gauge. One day it was going up as I drove, and finally stuck around 3/4 and stayed there. I did run it dry (but had an emergency can on hand) I went and filled it and it took between 20-22 gallons. My problem is everything I am finding online says that truck has a 26 gallon tank, how is this possible? Did they make a smaller tank for this vehicle?
Thanks in advance.
Old December 10th, 2020, 12:01 AM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow1053
Hi, I recently bought a 2004 Tahoe Z71. it had been sitting dormant for a year when I bought it, and did a lot of TLC to bring it back right. The latest thing that is giving me problems is the gas gauge. One day it was going up as I drove, and finally stuck around 3/4 and stayed there. I did run it dry (but had an emergency can on hand) I went and filled it and it took between 20-22 gallons. My problem is everything I am finding online says that truck has a 26 gallon tank, how is this possible? Did they make a smaller tank for this vehicle?
Thanks in advance.
Nothing new here. Your tank simply won't draw out 26 gallons of fuel. It's as commonplace as heck. Keeps you from running out of fuel, IMO,
Old December 10th, 2020, 10:17 AM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Your owners manual says you have a 26 gallon tank. Maybe this is just me being overly trusting, but I'd consider that reasonably reliable information.
Old December 15th, 2020, 11:22 AM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Your owners manual says you have a 26 gallon tank. Maybe this is just me being overly trusting, but I'd consider that reasonably reliable information.
Well, as would I, if the simple math added up, but it doesn't. if it's 26 and I ran it dry, it should take 26 to fill right? it only took under 22, and I topped it off up to the neck.
Old December 15th, 2020, 3:27 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

you didn't run it dry unless you picked up the truck with a crane, tilted it at just the right angle and shook it. And even then some will be left.
The following users liked this post:
oilcanhenry (December 15th, 2020)
Old December 15th, 2020, 4:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by mountainmanjoe
you didn't run it dry unless you picked up the truck with a crane, tilted it at just the right angle and shook it. And even then some will be left.
LOL, four gallons worth?
Old December 15th, 2020, 7:00 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Did you truly run it dry? As in you were driving along and the engine stopped because there was no more gas? And then you had to get out, pour in gas from a gas can, and restart?

Are you saying that, of the millions of these trucks that GM built, that somehow yours is special and doesn't have the 26-gallon tank?

What's more likely? You have the Wonka golden ticket, or you just think you ran it dry?
Old December 15th, 2020, 8:29 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by intheburbs
Did you truly run it dry? As in you were driving along and the engine stopped because there was no more gas? And then you had to get out, pour in gas from a gas can, and restart?

Are you saying that, of the millions of these trucks that GM built, that somehow yours is special and doesn't have the 26-gallon tank?

What's more likely? You have the Wonka golden ticket, or you just think you ran it dry?
That is exactly what I'm saying. I was driving along, it sputtered to a stop, wouldn't restart, I got out, poured one gallon from my plastic container, turned the key a couple of times to prime the fuel pump, and it started up. then drove right to a gas station. I'm not saying mine is special, I was wondering if there were other options, or if someone could have replaced it with a smaller one for some reason? I don't know what happened, just that I can't put 26 gallons into it.
Old December 15th, 2020, 9:45 PM
CF Monarch

Received 262 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow1053
That is exactly what I'm saying. I was driving along, it sputtered to a stop, wouldn't restart, I got out, poured one gallon from my plastic container, turned the key a couple of times to prime the fuel pump, and it started up. then drove right to a gas station. I'm not saying mine is special, I was wondering if there were other options, or if someone could have replaced it with a smaller one for some reason? I don't know what happened, just that I can't put 26 gallons into it.
I believe that there is or was, a twenty-gallon tank on SOME models of Chevrolet pickups, (likely half ton 2-wheel drives)and the short-bed Chevy Stepsides used to use an 18-gallon tank. Perhaps when it was installed, it was at a bit of a tilt. You could always run it low on fuel, open the straps up, and decline/upclimb the tanks towards the fuel pump, perhaps with some material like plastic or wood under the fuel tank straps.
The following users liked this post:
yellow1053 (December 15th, 2020)
Old December 15th, 2020, 11:32 PM
Super Moderator

Received 664 Likes on 602 Posts

were you going uphill?

Maybe the pump swallowed some air and the truck stalled.

Quick Reply: Gas Tank Capacity 04 Tahoe Z71