Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Good touch screen options for 2004 2500 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 25th, 2014, 5:45 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good touch screen options for 2004 2500 Suburban

Hey guys, new to the forums and first time Suburban owner. Got a very nice 2004 2500. It has the factory radio (non-bose). I am looking into swapping in a screen for navigation, backup cam and just about whatever else is available. Honestly I would like even be able to look into engine sensor parameters if possible just for maintainence reasons. I am wondering if there is a decent, tried and true brand or model that won't give me any problems installing or operating. Also, was reading about having to possibly reprogram computers or something? Does that apply here or maybe I was reading about a different year?

Thanks
Old August 25th, 2014, 6:24 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Actron makes several at different prices. The more features, the more they cost.

Not sure what you mean about reprogramming computers unless you are referring to dealer software upgrades. You can take it in to a dealer and they can tell if it has all of the updates performed.
Old August 25th, 2014, 8:28 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by 73shark
Welcome to the forum.

Actron makes several at different prices. The more features, the more they cost.

Not sure what you mean about reprogramming computers unless you are referring to dealer software upgrades. You can take it in to a dealer and they can tell if it has all of the updates performed.
Honestly I don't know what I meant either lol. I was trying to do a little research on it but I ended up reading mostly about people with newer models or that had factory navigation and were trying to go aftermarket. So I'm probably a little mixed up on that. I'm assuming I can just pull out the old radio and get the proper harnesses and dash kit and install directly pretty much as I would just replacing the single deck with another single? I have done several head units like that, just never a double with touch screen so I wasn't sure how different it would be.

Also read about some people with the bose factory stereo having some issues with things, so maybe that won't apply to me with the standard stereo...
Old August 25th, 2014, 9:28 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

Call Crutchfield re: what it takes to change out the radio.
Old August 27th, 2014, 10:56 PM
CF Beginner

I just bought a 2004 2500. I absolutely love it...any way...the previous owner which was also is a good friend of mine put a Pioneer touch screen in for the old stereo. I know that he bought it at Crutchfield and all the supplies to go with it. So far I really like the setup and it works well. At least call and talk to them....best of luck and happy hunting.
Old August 28th, 2014, 5:58 AM
CF Beginner

Im glad your happy with the pioneer cuz I just ordered one. Not one of the brand new models I think its an avh2600 or something...couldnt find anything majorly negative about them so I went that route. Only $360 with install kit and free shipping so bot a bad deal.