Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Ground wire/electrical issue

Search this Thread

Old March 15th, 2015, 3:11 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ground wire/electrical issue

I have a 2001 Chevy Suburban LT model and we fixed the ground wire to my rear wiper motor. Now all the sudden my truck won't run right and every dash board gauge is going haywire. Says I have no gas, ABS light on, service engine on, etc. Only ones seeming not affected is the oil pressure and the voltage gauge. Please help !!! We have cleaned the battery terminals, and 2 or 3 other grounding wires in the engine compartment. We can't reach the bottom bolt to the engine ground as it is on the back of the motor but we did clean the one end that was on the compartment wall. Please I need my truck running and we can't figure it out. Thank you.
Old March 15th, 2015, 11:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

What was it doing before the ground wire fix?
Old March 16th, 2015, 10:36 AM
CF Beginner

All my gauges were fine before this. I don't know why my dash board gauges would be affected by fixing the rear wiper on my truck. But I did find in the wiring connector at the upper right inside the rear hatch that the wires were melted/burnt. So I am changing out the connector. Looks like the purple wire (defrost) and black wire (ground) had overheated and melted somewhat. Again I still don't know why my gauges were affected.
Old March 16th, 2015, 11:43 PM
CF Veteran

Would be interesting to unhook your repair and see if the problem goes away
Old March 21st, 2015, 4:15 PM
CF Beginner

Okay I replaced the connector in the cargo door, which had the ground wire burn marks. Even redid the ends of ground wire because of melted plastic. Now that works great. I replaced the cluster under steering wheel which I believe is called the OBD box. Dash gauges reset except the airbag and security. Now I just drove it a short distance and my dash gauges and lights just went crazy again. But the rear wiper still works. I'm at a loss on why the gauges are messed up.
Old March 21st, 2015, 8:26 PM
CF Beginner

Well an update---we have found and cleaned and tightened every freaking ground wire we could on the 01 chevy suburban. Not a ground wire. I don't even think it's the BCM that I replaced. I stated earlier it was a OBD but I was wrong it's called the Body Control Module that I replaced. I think maybe just maybe it's the Passlock Sensor. So tomorrow I will be taking it apart, checking the wires and cleaning the ignition switch. We'll just have to wait and see. Either way it is going to a dealer to reprogram my airbags on Monday. If I don't have it fixed by then, guess I will have to see what they think it is. Not exactly having people on here help. Thanks all !!!
Old March 22nd, 2015, 7:49 AM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
Would be interesting to unhook your repair and see if the problem goes away
I agree, electrical systems in newer vehicles are not wired up the same as the old school systems of the 12 volt days, a lot of items are controlled via a data connection...
Old March 22nd, 2015, 2:49 PM
CF Beginner

UPDATE !!!!!! Well after hours of reading forums and watching Youtube fixes, I HAVE RESOLVED my issue. Even though my ground wire and connector in the rear cargo door needed replaced, we think it was just the last straw to make the gauges go. After trying another BCM in it, this morning I put the original back in. Then I opened up my steering column and found the connector to the ignition sensor was very loose in it's fitting. Plus the yellow wire itself was loose. Mine has 3 wires there. From left to right it's yellow, orange with stripe, and a pinkish red. My understanding is the yellow is sort of the ground wire for the sensor. We took a piece of plastic, trimmed it down to fit and pushed the loose connector over to the left and pushed the plastic piece in to make it a tight fit. THAT'S IT !!!! All my gauges and lights went back to normal. I can now cancel my appointment with Chevy dealer to "reprogram" my airbags. It's not needed. My whole dash reset itself. Also while doing this I disconnected the negative battery cable. I did buy a new battery because I needed it. It's still good to clean all ground wires that you can fine. Great news is my rear wiper is working STRONG !!! I hope this helps others that have this issue. Thanks for letting me join the forum. Alot of the info on here helped me to go thru alot of procedures until I finally found the issue. Have a great day !!!!
Old March 22nd, 2015, 3:59 PM
CF Veteran

Thanks for letting us all know what worked - that's what makes these places so great!
Old March 22nd, 2015, 4:55 PM
Administrator

Received 43 Likes on 43 Posts

+1 for following up on your fix, that is what makes forums work