Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Have AFM associated problems been resolved?

Search this Thread

Old March 9th, 2014, 8:48 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Have AFM associated problems been resolved?

I am considering buying a new Suburban vs a Traverse. I have yet to check the 2014 brochures for the Suburbans. So, I am curious if Chevrolet/GMC offer other optional engines besides the 5.3 V-8. I am just tired of the oil consumption issue associated with the 5.3 L and dealers telling me it's normal. In all my years of buying Chevy's I have never experienced such a problem unless there are worn valve guides or frozen piston rings. So, I really don't want a GM truck with a 5.3 unless the company has made engineering changes they will stand behind when it comes to the warranty without having to spend thousands for band-aid repairs. My Suburban has 220,000 plus miles on it and began having oil consumption problems at just over 50,000 miles. Had to spend close to a grand to have the number 1 cylinder lifters replaced at just over 100,000 miles and then an oil pump. I do like the quick acceleration of the engine but it doesn't outweigh the oil problems. The Traverse runs a V-6 so I am hesitant to buy one as I pull a small enclosed trailer on trips I take. Most of my driving is on the highway at posted speeds. But, I do flow with traffic as best I can. Question is, will a Traverse provide the power with it's V-6 without causing accelerated driveline and powertrain wear? The trailer I pull is a enclosed 5 x 8 which I store bmx bikes and related items in.
Old March 9th, 2014, 9:19 PM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts

The brochure or owner's manual should state the max tow weight.
Old March 10th, 2014, 7:02 PM
CF Active Member

Default AFM on 5.3 V-8

Thanks 73shark for the resource. According to the brochure for an Acadia or Traverse the max tow weigh is more than adequate for what I pull behind the vehicle. And, the V-6 horsepower rating seems in line with what I am looking for. Only issue I have is the prices have really jumped in the 6 years since I bought a new vehicle. Middle of the road Acadia is sporting an approximate price of $40 grand. Ones with all the bells and whistles jump up another 10 grand give or take a few thousand. May consider a Terrain but really like the extra room a Traverse or Acadia can provide.
Old March 10th, 2014, 9:22 PM
Administrator

Received 45 Likes on 45 Posts

Do some reading and research on the Arcadia, as I am pretty sure they have had some transmission issues, okay transmission failures.. a couple of co-workers have had complete transmission rebuilds one under warranty one not so much, though the dealership did cut them a break on the cost...
Old March 11th, 2014, 11:27 AM
CF Active Member

Default Acadia/Traverse towing concerns.

Thanks again 73shark, I will be checking the forum on transmission issues associated with Traverse/Acadia vehicles. Wonder if they are from towing without the factory package. I know there are some people who will add a hitch and wire harness on vehicles that don't have the factory upgrades. Always important to keep the transmission temps as cool as possible when towing. Will have to check if suspension upgrades are a part of a towing package on the Traverse/Acadia.