Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

HD Towing vs non-HD towing package - what's the diff?

Search this Thread

Old February 9th, 2021, 9:15 AM
CF Beginner

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default HD Towing vs non-HD towing package - what's the diff?

Hey, all.

I currently have a 2009 Suburban Z71 4x4 w/ 5.3L engine and HD towing package, and I tow a 18' 4000 pound trailer with this unit. My question: What is in the HD towing package? I've done google and forum searches and have not figured out exactly what's included in the HD towing package that came on my unit.

The QBQ is: when I replace this Suburban, do I need to get the HD towing package in my next unit to safely tow this 4000 pound trailer?

I'm looking at a 2014 Suburban LT 4x4 that does have a towing package (it has the towing button on the shifter), but it does not have a brake controller like mine does. So obviously that's one difference between the non-HD and HD towing packages. Are there other differences?

I mean, I can add my own brake controller if that's all that's missing, but I don't know if there's more, like maybe heavier duty suspension or brakes or drivetrain.

Thanks.
Old February 9th, 2021, 9:29 AM
CF Beginner

Also, axleadvisor shows that this unit would have a 5,500 pound towing capacity without things like the cooler. I guess it has the cooler since it has a towing package.

https://axleadvisor.com/chevrolet-su...wing-capacity/

I just want to be safe out there.

Thanks.
Old February 10th, 2021, 7:57 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From what I learned the HD towing package has a 3.43 axle ratio, external trans cooler and oil cooler and wiring for a brake controller. Hitch of course, but no bigger alternator, radiator or stiffer suspension. I have a 2012 Suburban 1500 LT 4x4. Tthe regular 3.08 axle ratio has a max tow of 5,000#, if it has the 3.43 axle it goes up 10% to 5,500#. With the HD tow package it is 8,000#. I would think you would be fine towing a 4,000# trailer with the 2014 tow package, I tow a 6,000# travel trailer, I use an Andersen wdh.
Old February 10th, 2021, 8:46 AM
CF Beginner

Thanks. As I kept looking into it, I noticed the axle ratio and the difference in towing capacity, and figured the axle ratio must be part of the HD towing package. I don't need a new truck today, I just want one, so I'll keep looking for exactly the right thing (2014 Suburban, white w/ tan interior, 5.3L, 4x4, HD towing package, rear entertainment, heated seats, backup camera). One will come up at some point. This one was close -- it had everything but the HD towing package. If it had the 3.42 axle ratio, I would have gotten it because I can pretty easily install the coolers and brake controller. Changing out the axle ratio isn't something I want to do.

And yes, I might be okay with this unit, but I don't like towing above 80% of tow capacity -- I've done it before, and the vehicle hated it and I did too.
Old February 10th, 2021, 12:33 PM
CF Beginner

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had an F150 Eco Boost and it pulled my 4000 lb trailer with no problem. But I hated the truck and Ford Motor Company for some warranty issues. I will never own a Ford again. I had a Suburban before that and set out to find another. I decided that there was no such thing as overkill when it comes to towing. and found an excellent 2500 8.1L with 4.10 gearing. It is a pleasure to drive and of course it tows a 4000 lb trailer with ease. The roughly 10mpg towing or empty does not matter to me. Your needs may dictate a different choice. But advice is to buy as much power (engine and gearing) as you can justify. Also consider a 2500.
Rick
Old February 10th, 2021, 12:39 PM
CF Beginner

Yeah, I'd love a 2500. My needs don't dictate it, but I would love one. They're pretty rare around here, but I should look for one, especially since I don't need a replacement today.

I agree with you about "never too much tow capacity" part. As I said, I towed at near 100% of capacity, and it was not fun, and I will never do it again. My 1500 w/ HD towing pkg tows my 4000# trailer with ease, and I know a 2500 would too.

I have time, so I'll just be on the lookout and will jump when the right thing comes along.