Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Headlight Conversion advice

Search this Thread

Old October 29th, 2017, 1:14 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headlight Conversion advice

Just bought 1997 k2500 7.4 for use in Lake Tahoe ca. Headlights and running lights are solarized and dim. Plan to drive in dark, snowy conditions along mountain passes and would like to upgrade to LED. Also would like a
plug- -play solution. Please give me your advice — do I buy replacement lenses and LED lamps separately or as a kit? Which are more rugged?
Thank you, Steve aka Yuki (my dog)
Old October 29th, 2017, 8:07 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Ideally, the lenses and bulbs should be matched. HID into a reflection lens is a big no no.
Not sure on leds. I assume projection lenses would be a better way to go. the retrofit source will have the latest information.

A lot of led kits have poor instructions....led bulbs have to be orientated correctly when installed. there will be a set screw to lock the orientation.
Old October 29th, 2017, 9:30 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Led source

Thanks Tech2. I’d like to go LED but am having trouble finding a matched set of lenses and bulbs. Part of the issue I imagine is that the really good LED makers (high CRI, lifetime) may not be good at sourcing really good molds for lenses. Greatly appreciate the input of you and others who have been down this road. Please let me know of excellent lenses and LED lamps.
Appreciate all the help here. Steve