Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help Diagnosing Engine Whine

Search this Thread

Old December 12th, 2020, 12:24 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Quick update: I removed the serpentine belt and inspected all the idlers and stuff - I did not hear or feel anything odd, a very faint whirring from the alternator but that may be normal... I put everything back together and started it up and best I can tell the whining noise is coming from the alternator area. One more thing, I have started getting a screeching noise occasionally and it usually happens on start up and when accelerating hard on the freeway. Best I can tell this only happens when the AC is running (a couple of times it has screeched when I turn it on). Could that be the alternator screeching when the load of the AC is put on it or could it be unrelated? Regardless, I think I will swap out the alternator and see if that fixes the whining. Any suggestions for a good replacement under 120? Rock Auto has a Remy 160amp for about $98 but I don't know anything about that manufacturer.
Old December 12th, 2020, 12:33 PM
CF Pro Member

Received 163 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by Landon_92
One more thing, I have started getting a screeching noise occasionally and it usually happens on start up and when accelerating hard on the freeway. Best I can tell this only happens when the AC is running (a couple of times it has screeched when I turn it on). Could that be the alternator screeching when the load of the AC is put on it or could it be unrelated?
If you get a noise only when the AC is switched on, check the AC belt idler/tensioner. I'm assuming that your 2009 Tahoe has a separate small belt with an idler/tensioner for the AC compressor like my 2005 Yukon has.
Old December 12th, 2020, 12:53 PM
CF Beginner

Actually mine does not have an idler/tensioner, it uses a stretch belt. Supposedly you can install one if you want as the bolt holes are still there from previous models.
Old December 12th, 2020, 12:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 213 Likes on 187 Posts

You can use a length of heater hose as a stethoscope to listen to each component individually. PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF MOVING PARTS!! Have a helper rev motor as you listen and as you turn a/c on & off
Old December 12th, 2020, 2:47 PM
CF Beginner

Originally Posted by Rednucleus
You can use a length of heater hose as a stethoscope to listen to each component individually. PLEASE BE CAREFUL OF MOVING PARTS!! Have a helper rev motor as you listen and as you turn a/c on & off
I'll give that try, thanks!