Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help me evaluate this 1987 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old August 5th, 2012, 12:01 AM
HFB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me evaluate this 1987 Suburban

I recently signed up because I know that people here will be familar with the burb I just bought.
It is a 1987 Custom Deluxe K2500 4x4 with the 6.2 diesel, TH 400 auto transmission, manual hubs. I bought it in an employee only auction of surplus vehicles. I am a car nut who hoped to sell this vehicle at a profit to support my habit. It only has 3,000mi! It was a standby emergency response vehicle for rough country rescue. It obviously was hardly ever driven, but was serviced on a time basis and was checked regularly for readiness. It has a block heater and was always plugged in. It only has a front seat and the back has been setup to haul a streacher and bins for rescue supplies. the paint is faded but the body has no dents, and only surface rust on a few scratches. It has a 16000 lb reciever hitch.
My question is how to go about selling this vehicle. I have no intention in keeping it but saw an chance to make some money and to get a mechanically new vehicle to someone who would appreciate it.
Old September 3rd, 2012, 7:05 PM
HFB
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting to think I'll keep it!

the truck is starting to grow on me. I took out all the emergency equipment and have fitted a nice back seat that I found in a salvage yard. It was a different color but same vinyl pattern seat. Painted it with SEM upholstery paint. Also had the back seat but the burb was not set up from the factory for the back seat.
I had to get the tires balanced since at work the burb probably didn't see over 35mph but rarely. It drives like the new vehicle it is. Quite a pleasure after having owned a 79 burb 4x4 that had to be just herded down the road. It also gets a respectable 16mpg in mountainous driving. Being automatic, it can be a backup for my wifes car. I have removed all the #s and faded pinstriping and am starting to prepare it for paint. A couple cans of R-12 has the A/C working good, although I need to figure out why the air flow will not divert from floor to dash vents like it should. Getting some flow out the dash vents, but still a lot goes to the floor.