Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help Please, '97 Tahoe won't start after short trips

Search this Thread

Old September 16th, 2006, 3:51 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Please, '97 Tahoe won't start after short trips

My problem is:
When its cold it starts right up. However if you shut it down to make a quick stop it doesn't start up again.

I called AAA and when the tow truck arrived (30 to 45 min. later) it started right up. The first tow truck driver said it was possible that the battery cable was loose. He then tightened it up, but the first thing he had me do was start it up (and it did). Although we started it up and then shut it down a couple of times no problems.

Second time I stopped to get a quick oil change and it wouldn't start up after. The mechanic checked the battery cables (all tight). He said it did look like some cables were loose underneath but he couldn't reach them from the oil change pit. Eventually he tried tapping on something from underneath while I tried to start it and it finally started.

Another time I stopped for gas and ended up pushing it away from the pumps. I was in a hurry, So I left it in the lot and got a ride. when I came back about two hours later it started right up.

When it doesn't start. All the overheadlights come on inside, but the engine doesn't turn over. It just clicks, even the pump can be heard humming.

Could this be a cable problem and why does it start up after its cooled down? I would think that a cable problem would be either on or off problem. If it is could the problem be a cable expanding or contracting and breaking the connection?

Or could this be a thermostat problem?

Any help will be appreciated. I just can't afford taking it to the dealership $$$$. And the other mechanic in the area that is trust worthy mainly works on Semi's and it takes him weeks to months to work on smaller vehicles.
Old September 17th, 2006, 1:28 AM
Administrator

Received 170 Likes on 168 Posts
Default RE: Help Please, '97 Tahoe won't start after short trips

Possibly starter or starter solenoid.