Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help please! Skid plates for 2007 Suburban

Search this Thread

Old May 14th, 2013, 9:47 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help please! Skid plates for 2007 Suburban

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum but have enjoyed reading a bunch of thread already... very helpful!

I recently bought a 2007 Suburban 1500 LTZ (new body style), and I'm planning on taking it off paved road this fall. I'm not talking about any real offroading, but I'll be on dirt/gravel logging roads, and even less travelled tertiary roads. These roads may have some washboard texture to them, rocks and other debris, bumps, and holes. My goal is to get the vehicle ready for that, without doing a ton of work (not interested in putting a lift kit in at this point).

I plan to change the 20" rims currently on the vehicle to 18" so I have more tire to cushion. I would also like to make sure I have at least some rock protection under the car though, and I'm having trouble figuring out what to buy.

My biggest worry right now is the plastic oil pan cover up front (plastic, really?). I can't figure out what to replace this with, and no one seems to be able to point me to a part GM or otherwise for this. I'm also thinking about what else really needs protection. It seems like the underside of this vehicle is actually pretty smooth and not much hangs down. The rear dif is maybe something to protect, but again, not sure what to buy for a vehicle without a lift kit.

I would VERY much appreciate any suggestions. I'm not sure how replies work on this forum, but just want to mention that you can also reach me at smc968@hotmail.com.

Thanks!!
Old May 14th, 2013, 6:43 PM
CF Active Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you contacted a GM dealership they can help you with original GM skid plates or try 4wheelparts.com. they have a good selection of parts. On my 2011 Suburban it was ordered with skid plates from the dealer and they cover the oil pan and transfer case. The oil filter is partially exposed.
Old May 15th, 2013, 5:55 PM
Administrator

Received 163 Likes on 161 Posts

smc968: Welcome to the forum.

I'm not sure if the Z/71 has a true skid plate or not but might check.

Also the Owner's Manual recommends removing the lower lip under the front bumper cover when going off-road.
Old May 15th, 2013, 7:19 PM
CF Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow, didnt know you had to remove the bottom piece of plastic for off-roading... that would explain why mine got ripped off at my barn...

How many miles on the 2007 you bought?