Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help please. Tahoe wont start possibly timing?

Search this Thread

Old January 7th, 2020, 5:02 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help please. Tahoe wont start possibly timing?

Hi everyone im new here to the forum. Having some issues hopefully you guys can help me.
i recently bought a 2007 chevy tahoe ltz. It has the 5.3 vortec in it. I was driving on the highway about 65 when i lost power and the vehicle died. Pulled to the side of the road and it wont start. It cranks strong but no start. I pulled the codes and it has only one code. P0340. Camshaft position sensor. I replaced sensor and still the same cranks but wont start. After much research i feel like my timing chain may have jumped. The vehicle recently started making this loud ticking noise while running or driving. And when the car died i noticed oil pressure went to 0. It currently has about 160,000 miles. It has been running awesome until now. The vehicle has been fully serviced. Before i get into such a big project im hoping i can get some insight. Thanks!

07 chevy tahoe ltz

Last edited by Tahoe.ltz 07; January 7th, 2020 at 5:06 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Camarovibes (April 11th, 2022)
Old January 7th, 2020, 5:16 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

do a compression check. bad timing will produce abnormally high or low compression results.
did the camshaft dtc reset?
typically when the timing is out you get a cam/crank correlation code.
Old January 8th, 2020, 2:15 PM
CF Beginner

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Reply

No. The dtc did not reset i manually reset it and it popped up again. I did voltage test to sensor wiring and harness and all is good there. So i beleive possibly the new sensor is faulty. Or its internal maybe timing. Just wondering if p0340 is related
Old January 8th, 2020, 3:40 PM
Super Moderator

Received 511 Likes on 471 Posts

Originally Posted by Tahoe.ltz 07
No. The dtc did not reset i manually reset it and it popped up again.
does not make sense? if you cleared the code and it popped up again...the code reset!

the engine should start even with this code but it would cause an extended crank time....the crankshaft would have to rotate 2 revolutions to be able to locate cylinder #1 as it would use the crankshaft sensor not the cam sensor.
don't let the code red herring you. go thru the basic testing of a crank no start first
do you have fuel pressure?
do you have spark?...if no, check the scan tool for a rpm signal
if spark ok, do a compression test on all cylinders. you can pull all the plugs and check their condition and for flooding.
Old April 11th, 2022, 9:45 AM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue

Originally Posted by Tahoe.ltz 07
Hi everyone im new here to the forum. Having some issues hopefully you guys can help me.
i recently bought a 2007 chevy tahoe ltz. It has the 5.3 vortec in it. I was driving on the highway about 65 when i lost power and the vehicle died. Pulled to the side of the road and it wont start. It cranks strong but no start. I pulled the codes and it has only one code. P0340. Camshaft position sensor. I replaced sensor and still the same cranks but wont start. After much research i feel like my timing chain may have jumped. The vehicle recently started making this loud ticking noise while running or driving. And when the car died i noticed oil pressure went to 0. It currently has about 160,000 miles. It has been running awesome until now. The vehicle has been fully serviced. Before i get into such a big project im hoping i can get some insight. Thanks!

07 chevy tahoe ltz

im currently having the same issue. What was your fix
only code I have is the 340 have spark and fuel
Old August 16th, 2023, 1:39 PM
CF Beginner

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Crankshaft position sensor