Tahoe & Suburban The power, space, and brutal towing ability make the Tahoe and its longer sibling, the Suburban, arguably the best full size SUV's on the market today.

2013 Chevrolet Suburban
Platform: GMT 400, 800, 900

Help - Suburban making high pitched noise

Search this Thread

Old February 13th, 2018, 10:44 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help - Suburban making high pitched noise

I've had a number of issues I needed to have fixed on the 2011 Suburban I bought about 11 months ago. I love it, but I don't love the $2,000+ I've spent to fix things in the past year. I have a new one I can't identify. I recently noticed a subtle noise that sounds almost like the noise that you hear when the rear windshield wiper is about to go, a little high pitched hiss.
It isn't constant, but it's close to constant. I noticed that when I turn the radio off, it's gone. So it seems to be something in a speaker or somehow associated with the radio.

Has as anyone experienced this? Any thoughts on what could be causing this noise? I notice it a lot. But not everyone does. However, my step daughter noticed it so much she had to listen to ear buds because it bothered her so much.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Thanks.
Old February 13th, 2018, 10:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 224 Likes on 198 Posts

Put your ear to each speaker - is it present at all of them?
Does it matter what mode radio is in - FM, AM, Cd etc?
Does volume control affect noise level?
Old February 13th, 2018, 11:51 AM
CF Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can't seem to identify a speaker that is causing it. It's weird because I think it's coming from the passenger side and my daughter in law thought from the driver's side. It's almost as if it's all around. But I'll check each speaker. That's a good idea.
I did notice that turning down the volume doesn't change it, but turning it off stops it. I will have to check if it happens in the different radio types. All I know for sure is that it happens with XM.